What's new

Overheard today on the Sales Floor! (1 Viewer)

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Overheard today on the floor of a chain electronics retailer...I won't name it to protect the guilty!!

Woman: I hate those bars on DVDs. Do you have any DVD players that get rid of them?

Sales Rep: Ma'am, you may not be aware of this, but the FCC has recently ruled that all DVDs must now be released in widescreen, and full screen versions without any black bars. They were barely selling any DVDs with black bars anyway. You don't have to worry about anything.

I've heard a lot of sales jive in my day, but this takes the cake!! LMFAO!!!!! :D

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Sort of reminds me of that part in the movie THE BIG PICTURE where the studio exec says that Kevin Bacon's character can't make a black and white movie because today's movie projectors can't play them.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I went to Costco the other day, and while looking at the SW:EP2 DVD the customer next to me asked me if I knew how much they were (there was no price tag to be seen). I said they're probably around $18 like most of the other movies.

He then picked one up, but looked at it closer and saw that it said "Widescreen". He put it back and said "I can't buy that, I have a regular TV". I told him that I preferred the widescreen version even though I don't have a widescreen TV, and that if he chose the full screen version he would not get the whole picture like it was in the theater. He didn't say a word, just looked at me and walked away.

Not sure what to say in situations like these. I don't want to push something on them that they don't want, but at the same time I get the feeling they don't even know what they're talking about. It seemed like he thought he wouldn't be able to play a WS DVD on a non-WS TV, for example.

Then I looked some more and saw that they only carried the MAR version of "Cats & Dogs". It was a depressing evening... :)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Overheard today at BestBuy, a salesman said to a woman shopping "yep when 2006 rolls around if you don't have a High-Def TV you will have to go buy one." what a load of crock. I even said out loud that they were a bunch of liars.
i hate best buy and will not be purchasing there again, that last comment plus lack of good service previously will keep me from their store.

jay

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I am a part-time employee with Best Buy (yes, for the discount) While I am not on the sales floor, I do my best to educate people who come through my line with a Full Screen (isn't that a deceptive description!) title. I ask them if they meant to get that particular version. If they ask "What's the difference?" I give them my best 15 second explanation. I even offer to grab the widescreen version if they want.

The truly sad story is that most arbitrarily buy whatever they pick up first, be it Full Screen or Widescreen..they don't check and many don't care. There is much confusion with the dual releases of big-name titles.

There are many people who are hopping mad that we only have one aisle of VHS titles...:eek:

BTW: If you have a poor customer service experience at Best Buy (or any retailer), you really should speak to a Manager. Not shopping there doesn't resolve anything, they need to correct the problem immediately and they won't know if you don't mention it!

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Quick question:

Isn't it likely that in ten years or so the vast majority of TVs sold will be 16x9? If so, at that point J6P will demand that all movies and TV shows be available in WIDESCREEN! C'mon, nobody likes those black or gray bars on the sides of their TV! Ironic, isn't it?! :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Isn't it likely that in ten years or so the vast majority of TVs sold will be 16x9? If so, at that point J6P will demand that all movies and TV shows be available in WIDESCREEN! C'mon, nobody likes those black or gray bars on the sides of their TV! Ironic, isn't it?!
Directors could decide to start shooting all their movies in 4:3 when that happens...:D

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't bring myself to interrupt the "conversation" the sales rep and that woman were having. :)

Based on the tone the woman was taking with the sales rep., I bet I could have lectured her for an hour on aspect ratios to no effect.

I hope she enjoys her mutliated DVDs ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was in FYE this past weekend when I overheard a sales associate talking with a customer about the difference between FS and WS. He did pretty well, explaining that with WS you get black bars while with FS you have no black bars but you lose some of the picture on the sides. Then he added, "Most people like widescreen better." :emoji_thumbsup: Not sure if this was his personal preference or if it was based on sales, but it was encouraging either way.

If FYE weren't so damned expensive, I might start shopping there more often. :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
... but the FCC has recently ruled that all DVDs must now be released in widescreen, and full screen versions ...
I knew all those letters I wrote to the FCC about P&S only titles would pay off someday! ;)

I need to hang out in Best Buy more often just to get some laughs.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
After doing my quick explanation and sometimes even a demo I just have been resolved that some people will listen and some won't. Some people think sales assistant automatically means liar. And it's not a bad thing but some people are more interested in the content then the format. Argue w/ that.

Here's a "bad" slice of life:
Pitching a product for a good amount of time to be told that they normally buy from the same guy, b/c they know we work on comission. 1 out of 2 times I get irritated and ask for my business card "back". You should see the look of shock on their face and I'm sorry but this pettiness satisfies me. Some customers...

KyleS

Screenwriter
Pitching a product for a good amount of time to be told that they normally buy from the same guy, b/c they know we work on commission. 1 out of 2 times I get irritated and ask for my business card "back". You should see the look of shock on their face and I'm sorry but this pettiness satisfies me. Some customers...
When I did sales I would have been extremely excited to have customers that would return to me with that kind of loyalty. Are you making sure before you pitch products that they have not been previously involved with another sales person. If you get to the end of your demo/pitch, and on this product they have not worked with someone else, then it would be Your job to make sure they know why they should buy from you.... You did all the work for this sale and helped them out. If after explaining this to them they don't see your point and still go to the other sales person you should be working with that sales person. That way at least the customers will continue to do business with the store and you get a cut of the commission for pitching the product.

KyleS

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The example I like that seems to speak to the masses: ask them if the next time they buy a six-pack, they'd be satisfied with only receiving four cans.

Dan Mastro

Agent
was at best buy last weekend with a buddy looking at a samsung 27", when an associate approached. i told him i was in the learning stage. i asked him about accessing the menue to see the brightness level of the set; it was at 48% which impressed me. asked about black bars, 4.3 and 16.1. he told me he got his parents a larger toshiba which was never calibrated...the set was $799, and service pkg was $299 for 4 years. i corrected him by saying it was for 3 years since the mfg already had the 1st year covered; he agreed. told me when i was ready to buy, see anyone in the department that they were all qualified. what a surprise, maybe because i told him up front i was learning.
dan

Adil M

Supporting Actor
John,
These are the same people who are currently happy w/ VHS and I've always brought up the lack of picture, but when it starts approaching 5-10 minutes w/ the customer, I know to walk off and let them at leas digest the new perspective.

Fellows really, I do my best to explain the point and many people get it, but some "don't care." In explaining it you really have to downplay the "black bars" which is what irritates most people.

Another good tactic is to finish off your explanation by explaining that the zoom button on the remote will essentially cut the bars out and that later if they ever go to a widescreen tv, they can put the rest of the picture back. I know that's not the entire story, but when do you ever get the full 100% story.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
One time while shopping at Future Shop, I was picking up GWTW, and a customer infront of me asked the cashier what was difference with the new release.
Would you believe the cashier said it was "colourized".

The customer put the vhs(troglodyte!) in disgust and proceeded to purchase her other items. When it came to mind to be rung through, I told the cashier that the movie has always been in colour, and she gave me the typical "Future Shop employee" Shrug.

From now on, I keep my mouth shut and let people wallow in the refuse of their so-called intelligence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks