What's new

Overheard at Blockbuster (1 Viewer)

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
After a long Sunday of doing stuff that needed to get done, I decided to treat myself to a movie and headed for the nearest Blockbuster. I'm perusing the new titles section, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang in one hand and Munich in the other, when a family walks by me - husband, wife, daughter in her early teens a few feet back. He gives a glance at wall and says "What the hell is Syriana? Never heard of that," followed by his wife saying, "Do you want to get a Steven Seagal movie?"

I've never come closer to choking on my own vomit.

(Rented KK,BB btw, and loved it.)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
So, Michael, as you're skipping along to your favorite Organic Food Centre a family walks by and you overhear the mother say "who wants MacDonalds?" followed by the children yelling "yeah, yeah", will you be able to stop from vomiting? Oh dear. :)

Yes you have great taste in choosing KKBB, one of my favorite films of last year, but you must have had a very protected childhood if you've managed to avoid renting OTT action flicks starring Steven Seagal, Chuck Norris and others of that ilk in the past 20 or so years. If I mention some of the 3000+ films I've collected since 1979 you won't just vomit, you'd spontaneously combust. ;)

Supporting Actor
I'm aware of how elitist my reaction was, and I don't really apologize for it. Having said that, I've watched two Seagal movies, though I don't own any. For me, it was the juxtaposition of the two statements that was the kicker. To me, there's a huge difference between what many HTF members have (an incredible awareness of many films, and genuine appreciation for all of them, from formulaic but enjoyable action films to thought-provoking political dramas) and the kind of Joe-Six Pack mentality I've seen depressingly on display.

It seems like depressingly few people actually like to think about the movies they watch, and a depressingly few amount like to be challenged by what they see. I will also be frank in that my movie tastes tend to run fairly mainstream - it's not like my DVD collection is brimming with French existentialist films or anything. Heck, I even own Hudson Hawk! At the same time, I like a lot of different kinds of movies, and I appreciate films like Syriana or Good Night and Good Luck. I've just talked to a lot of people who go to the movies for the light show, essentially, and don't seem to want more out of the time than a predictable plot with favorite stars.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I guess for many of us, movies are an escape from the real world. A couple of hours to turn our brains off. If I wanted to get preached at, or lectured to, or made to feel guilty, I can just go to church/in-laws/watch network news.

And don't diss the Seagal! He'll rip your throat out and serve it up with a side of waffle fries.

Supporting Actor

I fully understand the desire for a good, check-your-brain-at-the-door action flick. I think The Rock is a great example of this. Within the genre, it's very good; it has quality actors, great production, at least a hint of depth with the main characters, and it's immensely enjoyable.

However, I don't like or excuse sloppy and lazy filmmaking. Most of Seagal's movies (and tons of other dreck out there) are far worse than a big, don't-think-about-it spectacle. They refuse to even bother doing something original or fresh or with some vitality.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Depends on which Seagal films they are. The early, Andrew Davis-directed ones are pretty entertaining (Under Siege being the best one) but once Seagal started getting preachy he went downhill really fast :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand I hate the Rock with a passion. Every Hollywood cliche and swooping camera pan is practically pissing down your throat with annoying music @ five explosions per second.

Give me any cheap early-90s Segal film or the likes of Commando and I'll be happy. :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Some people just don't care enough about movies to inform themselves about new releases. They just wanna go into a video shop and grab something to kill a couple hours. That doesn't make them vomit-worthy. Maybe they're world-class quantum physicists and can't be arsed to watch George Clooney flicks ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I could list several movies that I own and I bet you'd come to a certain conclusion....and you'd be wrong ;)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

I'm sure the majority of well versed movie nuts have never seen or heard any advertisement for their favorite movies. Most were seen from word-of-mouth recommendations. So this guy's never heard of Syriana? I'm fine with that. I never saw a commercial for Ikiru, it doesn't make the movie any less-good.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
So I guess the point of your post is that others may have different tastes than you.

I've never seen a single Steven Seagal movie (and likely never will), and I greatly enjoyed Syriana and Munich. But I certainly acknowledge that not everyone shares my preferences.

I find your intolerant attitude more distasteful than the fact that a complete stranger chose to rent a movie that I would not.

Jon

RyanAn

Screenwriter
The king of the rabbit punch.

That's just too bad.

I own Glimmerman because I like Keenan and Exit Wounds because it was cheap and looked good considering.

ry

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Ahh...the beauty of our forum....no one mind is like the other, that's why it is always quite envigorating if not entertaining to read the threads as ideas, opinions, likes and dislikes get thrown about.
Oh me? I like them both, mindless action flicks and thought provoking films. My collection is a neat combination of almost everything.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
One time a female friend of mine was looking at my DVD collection and noticed all the classics and serious movies I had. Then she spied my collection of "South Park" discs and in an almost horrified voice said "You like 'South Park'?" To which I said "Yeah, its funny".

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My favorite movies are Magnolia, Traffic, and Pride and Prejudice (2005) but I think Exit Wounds is a fun movie and I've seen every Michael Bay film and liked most of them.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I shouldn't have to justify my appreciation for fine film by giving reasons why Armageddon is in my DVD collection ;)

"Appreciation" isn't about looking down on others for what they find enjoyable. Appreciation is about understanding why someone might enjoy something that you necessarily don't like.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I could care less what other people's taste in movies or for that matter any distraction/pasttime they care to partake.

For example, I am not a big wine drinker, and I am sure there are many out there who would snub their nose at my $12 bottle of wine and label me as "low class" or "unknowledgeable", similar as to what you did with these people's choices in movies.

It is all a matter of perspective and what is important to one person could just as easily be meaningless to another. I try to be as unjudgemental as humanly possible and respect people for the decisions they make. In the end what is the point of putting down another's decisions on something as trivial as movie selection or wine?

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks