What's new

Overdrive SVS with 75watt amp? (1 Viewer)

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 25-31CS being driven with an old Pioneer 75watt stereo amp. I only have one channel running. Whenever I am watching bass heavy scenes, like the intro to Terminator 2, I seem to bottom my sub, with a loud clap after the firing of the shotgun. This does not seem to be right. I thought SVS recommended 300watts running to the sub. Also, it doesn't seem to be up THAT loud...hehe. It is up loud, but not excruciating levels, and certainly not levels that I would consider too loud. Any ideas would be great.
Thanks,
Todd

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
I thought clipping would only affect the higher frequencies. Also, sometimes I do overdrive the amp, and it shuts off. But the sound I am getting from the SVS is definitly a clap, explained in the manual as being overdriven...

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I thought clipping would only affect the higher frequencies. Also, sometimes I do overdrive the amp, and it shuts off. But the sound I am getting from the SVS is definitly a clap, explained in the manual as being overdriven...

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
OK..I am going to take your advice and go on the clipping. The room I am in is about 12x14, with one open wall. The sub is part of my computer rig. I will try to keep the volumes down until I can get a beefier amp. I don't have a rat shack SPL meter right now...I doubt I will have the opportunity to get the levels any higher in the future as my new dormmates won't appreciate it very much. Thanks for the great bass, and I am sure when I can upgrade my amp it will be even better!
Todd

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
For what ever it is worth,I am using a 70wpc yamaha dpl reciever to power my 25-31 and never had any trouble...well once I did get carried away with U-571 but It was way louder than my normal listening level.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks