Overdrive SVS with 75watt amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddMS, Jul 25, 2001.

1. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

I have a 25-31CS being driven with an old Pioneer 75watt stereo amp. I only have one channel running. Whenever I am watching bass heavy scenes, like the intro to Terminator 2, I seem to bottom my sub, with a loud clap after the firing of the shotgun. This does not seem to be right. I thought SVS recommended 300watts running to the sub. Also, it doesn't seem to be up THAT loud...hehe. It is up loud, but not excruciating levels, and certainly not levels that I would consider too loud. Any ideas would be great.
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

The amp is probably clipping, which is actually worse than sending it a larger "clean" amount of wattage.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Page

3. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

I thought clipping would only affect the higher frequencies. Also, sometimes I do overdrive the amp, and it shuts off. But the sound I am getting from the SVS is definitly a clap, explained in the manual as being overdriven...

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I thought clipping would only affect the higher frequencies. Also, sometimes I do overdrive the amp, and it shuts off. But the sound I am getting from the SVS is definitly a clap, explained in the manual as being overdriven...

5. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

OK..I am going to take your advice and go on the clipping. The room I am in is about 12x14, with one open wall. The sub is part of my computer rig. I will try to keep the volumes down until I can get a beefier amp. I don't have a rat shack SPL meter right now...I doubt I will have the opportunity to get the levels any higher in the future as my new dormmates won't appreciate it very much. Thanks for the great bass, and I am sure when I can upgrade my amp it will be even better!
    Todd

6. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

For what ever it is worth,I am using a 70wpc yamaha dpl reciever to power my 25-31 and never had any trouble...well once I did get carried away with U-571 but It was way louder than my normal listening level.
    ------------------