1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Overdrive SVS with 75watt amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddMS, Jul 25, 2001.

1. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

I have a 25-31CS being driven with an old Pioneer 75watt stereo amp. I only have one channel running. Whenever I am watching bass heavy scenes, like the intro to Terminator 2, I seem to bottom my sub, with a loud clap after the firing of the shotgun. This does not seem to be right. I thought SVS recommended 300watts running to the sub. Also, it doesn't seem to be up THAT loud...hehe. It is up loud, but not excruciating levels, and certainly not levels that I would consider too loud. Any ideas would be great.
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

The amp is probably clipping, which is actually worse than sending it a larger "clean" amount of wattage.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Page

3. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

I thought clipping would only affect the higher frequencies. Also, sometimes I do overdrive the amp, and it shuts off. But the sound I am getting from the SVS is definitly a clap, explained in the manual as being overdriven...

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I thought clipping would only affect the higher frequencies. Also, sometimes I do overdrive the amp, and it shuts off. But the sound I am getting from the SVS is definitly a clap, explained in the manual as being overdriven...

5. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

OK..I am going to take your advice and go on the clipping. The room I am in is about 12x14, with one open wall. The sub is part of my computer rig. I will try to keep the volumes down until I can get a beefier amp. I don't have a rat shack SPL meter right now...I doubt I will have the opportunity to get the levels any higher in the future as my new dormmates won't appreciate it very much. Thanks for the great bass, and I am sure when I can upgrade my amp it will be even better!
    Todd

6. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

For what ever it is worth,I am using a 70wpc yamaha dpl reciever to power my 25-31 and never had any trouble...well once I did get carried away with U-571 but It was way louder than my normal listening level.
    ------------------