Overall "volume" of your AVR

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chuck Bogie, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Guys, what do you do for BIG rooms, or folks who are just insane about SPL? I've got a buddy who wants the experience of sitting front row at a 1970 Who concert, without having to invent a time machine...

He's got a Denon 2803 that he's been feeding into a stack of Phase Linears, and it isn't cutting it. He's trying out an Arcam AVR300 this weekend, and it isn't doing the trick either.

Any ideas?

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Sit within a circle of speakers so they are only 1meter away from the listening position and crank it. Also have him use Klipsch speakers since their very sensitive and won't take much power to achive ear blistering levels.

Kevin

3. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Yeah, one of his next moves is to get some Klipschhorns...

Seriously, his old AVR (which didn't do 5.1 or DTS) would peg the needles on the Pflame Linears, and when he turns the Denon all the way up, they just barely start to twitch.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

He needs to get some power amps. Most receivers will run out of juice at higher volumes.

5. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Well, I'm not sure, but I think that the stack of Phase Linears he's running should qualify... He's using the AVRs (the Denon 2803 and then the Arcam) only as preamps. If I recall correctly, he's running two 400s and two 700s.

http://phaselinearhistory.com/400seriesamp.htm

http://phaselinearhistory.com/700seriesamp.htm

The amps aren't the problem - it's like they're not getting the signal. We turn the AVRs all the way up, and, well... the needles on the VU meters don't do their dance.

Cabling is decent. Not high dollar stuff, but decent. It's almost like the folks who put the AVRs together hath decreed "thou shalt listen no louder than 105db."