Overall quality of DIY?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I am just wondering, is I build a dual woofer vifa 6.5 fiberglass driver design(w D25 tweeter and ported) what would be the approximate level of quality when compared to commercial speakers(assuming all is done right...)? Am I gonna miss out on anything because its not a commercial speaker?

2. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

Depends how good you are at designing crossovers.

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

You can save a lot of pain-in-the-wallet and agony of a design gone wrong by building one of the many already-published designs that's on the internet right now. Some of the other guys can fill you in on where to find great speaker projects. I learned the hard way about crossovers, and I want to give you this information now so you don't have to suffer from making the same mistake.

Do it right, though, and the results will blow you away. And you'll save a lot of money in the process.

4. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

If you bi-amp and use an digital active crossover you can skip virtually all the headaches associated with fine tuning a solid state passive crossover. However, you still will have to tweak, but it only involves turning a knob instead of unsoldering parts and replacing them.