What's new

overall new car audio system (1 Viewer)

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
Hi all

I'd like to upgrade my factory system in my extended cab pickup. I don't need to blast my neighbor's windows out or anything, but would like some clear punch.

If I was to upgrade all at once, and keep my budget between %750-$1000, what would be some good options?

I'd need a CD player, 4 speakers and maybe a sub.

I'm not familiar with car audio that much so please go easy on me.

Thanks

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
Hi all

I'd like to upgrade my factory system in my extended cab pickup. I don't need to blast my neighbor's windows out or anything, but would like some clear punch.

If I was to upgrade all at once, and keep my budget between %750-$1000, what would be some good options?

I'd need a CD player, 4 speakers and maybe a sub.

I'm not familiar with car audio that much so please go easy on me.

Thanks

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
ok, get a Pioneer HU, try and find a 2003 model, usually a good one under 250$. A set of CDT Classic series components for up front and coaxials in rear or coaxials all around will be 350$. Amps/subs are pretty easy to find. I'd suggest the Hifonics 8000, 5 channel amp(230$). That'll power 4 speakers (50watts) plus 200watts for the 5th channel. A good sub is the Elemental Design K series sub. You can get the flat cone one for 105$ or the KX series for 65$ on the overstock section. I'd suggest those subs as the best bang for the buck. You're looking 950-1000$, the 350$ for speakers is little bit high( coaxials for the rears would be 90 and the components up front would be 150$) but i always try and ready myself for something high and than am happy if its lower.

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
ok, get a Pioneer HU, try and find a 2003 model, usually a good one under 250$. A set of CDT Classic series components for up front and coaxials in rear or coaxials all around will be 350$. Amps/subs are pretty easy to find. I'd suggest the Hifonics 8000, 5 channel amp(230$). That'll power 4 speakers (50watts) plus 200watts for the 5th channel. A good sub is the Elemental Design K series sub. You can get the flat cone one for 105$ or the KX series for 65$ on the overstock section. I'd suggest those subs as the best bang for the buck. You're looking 950-1000$, the 350$ for speakers is little bit high( coaxials for the rears would be 90 and the components up front would be 150$) but i always try and ready myself for something high and than am happy if its lower.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
My Hifonics sounded shitty and broke after 2 months of use, just a word of caution. You get what you pay for with amps.

CDTs and the Pio recommendation sound nice.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
My Hifonics sounded shitty and broke after 2 months of use, just a word of caution. You get what you pay for with amps.

CDTs and the Pio recommendation sound nice.

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
which hifonics did you get? I haven't heard too much problems with them and they have a quick warranty program. Only series i suggest would be the ZX,NX,BX series, the XXX Generation are crazy too. I've heard the ZX series and was pretty impressed with it. Not as powerful as they say but still was good for highs and mids. If not Hifonics look for Soundstream or DEI. Both of those are very good products.

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
which hifonics did you get? I haven't heard too much problems with them and they have a quick warranty program. Only series i suggest would be the ZX,NX,BX series, the XXX Generation are crazy too. I've heard the ZX series and was pretty impressed with it. Not as powerful as they say but still was good for highs and mids. If not Hifonics look for Soundstream or DEI. Both of those are very good products.

HowardLi

Grip
What kind of speakers fit up front? If you have 6.5" holes in the doors, you can't go wrong with the CDT Audio CL61a from theREMOVEzeb.REMOVEcom. I don't really know much about coaxials, though (seeing as most rear fill would be coax).

I'm not recommending thezeb because I work there or anything, but they have awesome prices (the CL61a at $150 is a freaking steal) and excellent customer satisfaction.

And onto the head unit... My brother just recently picked up a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X679. Very nice (I won't elaborate for fear of being banned for being an adbot :P), and it does 22W RMS to all 4 channels if you don't want to spend the extra money on an external amp(s) - though I do recommend the extra power that you would get from one. If you don't like Kenwood for some reason, Pioneers are always good. The DEH-7500MP is, by all accounts, an excellent head unit. Check ebay or thezeb for the hardware.

EDIT: I can't recommend eD's pre-order sale anymore. Apparently, a lot of people are having trouble with them over at caraudiodotcom/vb forum. Adire Audio has great subs at inexpensive prices (one Tempest at $150 will do great).

BTW, where is the Hifonics ZX8000 $230?

StephenHa

Second Unit
I have a hifonics in my truck great amp and I abuse it, no they aren't the old zed audio ones but they are pretty good

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
got the Hifonics from a dealer on SD, the EDs are still going fine. CAF is full of a bunch of boners and hate ED since ED left SIN and all. Adire and RE users bash ED every chance they get. make along story short, when ED first started using the piston design for their subs, the design had flaws. They fixed them so that they don't suffer from them now, but everyone remembers the bad. I have the later gen. flatcones and i'll tell you, SQ wise, my subs beat RE or Adire no matter what they say. I've heard both companies, and they get good SPL, but they don't blend as well as the ED does. The preorders are fine, just call them instead of looking online. if you deal with ED, call them. You can also find a lot of answers on ICIXSOUND.com forum. Thats ED's sponsored forum.

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
thats a pretty hard question about the explorer. I wouldn't suggest keeping the stock radio. Maybe just get 4 good high end coaxials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks