What's new

Overall, I think Cinema is better then it ever was. (1 Viewer)

Robert Todd

Agent
I never researched the unicorn issue, but always assumed it was taken from "Legend", because of how closely the lighting, background, and aesthetics match that film. Frankly, I don't understand why it's an issue, or why Scott would feel the need to answer the question definitively. Bladerunner's central premise, is that it doesn't make any difference whatsoever, because replicants share a common set of fears, hopes, and desires with the rest of humanity. Roy demonstrates mercy, and finds value in the life of a man who moments before had killed his lover. How many of us would have the same nobility of spirit in the face of our own, imminent mortality?

AlexCremers

Second Unit
To answer that might lead us to religious references.

I hear it too. I even think the VO fills the gaps nicely.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I strongly feel the movie is better without the narration, which includes not "hearing" it. It is much darker that way. That's my opinon, anyway.

I have no idea where that puts us regarding the religious implications of unicorns in Blade Runner. Personally, I think it would be a far more interesting discussion than arguing over the source of the footage. I'd sure like to hear the views of others regarding the unicorns.

AlexCremers

Second Unit

Robert Todd: "Roy demonstrates mercy, and finds value in the life of a man who moments before had killed his lover. How many of us would have the same nobility of spirit in the face of our own, imminent mortality?"

Alex Cremers: "To answer that might lead us to religious references."

There seem to be several parallels between Christ and Roy Batty. I'm not sure whether they are deliberate or coincidental.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I haven't read all the way through this thread, so excuse any repetition in my conclusions.

Movies may be better now, depending on what you're looking for. Certainly technology has allowed certain kinds of stories to be better made now than they would have in the 50s (Lord of the Rings, The Matrix).

But if what you like best are psychological nuances and natural human performances taken to a very high standard, the older movies far outstrip modern ones.

William Wyler's movie of The Heiress (1949), starring Olivia deHavilland, Montgomery Clift, and Ralph Richardson, is an amazing drama of classical dimensions, beautifully constructed, with a masterpiece of a music score by Aaron Copland! and the performers could not be bettered -- it makes the remake look anemic and silly (even with Albert Finney).

I chose this example because it is hardly the best known or best loved movie from older Hollywood, just an example of the high level of regular product (in those days).

I don't think a generalization can be made that movies are better than ever, but I do think a generalization can be made that they are NOT as popular as they once were. The year of 1947-48 is the absolute apex for tickets sold. Now there are too many options -- people opt out of going to the movies too often.

Which is good for those of us that have fine home theaters -- we get the best of all the worlds, movies, television, and live events which might be broadcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks