What's new

OVER THERE (FX) (1 Viewer)

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still watching, for whatever that is worth. I like this series a lot, which is a huge surprise. There's meat to the stories and it has well done character development. Seems like many in here didn't give the show a chance, but I'm sure there's others who did, enough to matter. I think the show effectively shows the fog of war pretty well. That seems to be the main focus of the show, not to just show gun battles.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
FX has decided not to renew Over There, citing low ratings.

I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm sorry to see it go. I liked the cast, and I think a lot of the characters had great potential. The series seemed to get stronger as the season progressed, but today's environment is too competitive to allow for much of a learning curve.

And now we'll never find out how Doublewide got her nickname. :D

M.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Can't Say I'm Surprised the situation isn't gaining in Popularity for sure and it sure ain't entertainment.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
And I'm not sure what that means. The show was well-made, had interesting characters and had laid out intriguing possibilities for future development. The subject matter was often harsh, but that's equally true of any war drama -- and yet no one says films like Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line, Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Three Kings, etc. "ain't entertainment".

Did you watch the entire season?

M.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I think Dave was speaking of the War in Iraq itself, not the show.

I myself did watch the whole season and I think (literary exaggerations and devices aside) it presented a pretty even handed neutral story of modern soldiers at war. A little heavy on the melodrama, but overall a good show. Bochco's strength has always been his characters and "Over There" was no different.

Actually, it was '90 (Desert Shield) - 91 (Desert Storm). '93 was Black Hawk Down.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yep, typo corrected. My fingers betrayed my brain.

Some of the most interesting plot developments keyed off aspects of the U.S. military that are very new, e.g., the effort to persuade Sgt. Scream to re-enlist, the official response to Mrs. B's going AWOL, and the dangers on the homefront when the lonely spouses consoling each other are no longer predominantly female (as in, e.g., We Were Soldiers).

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks