What's new

Over the Air Signal (1 Viewer)

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
I am converting my stereo into home theater and wondering if I can feed the antenna signal into the HT receiver?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What over the air signal do you want to receive? What tuner does your receiver contain? Mine has both an AM and an FM tuner so those are the signals I receive when I connect the appropriate antennas.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The antenna feed needs to go directly to a tuner. A HT receiver, as Robert mentions, will have at a minimum an AM/FM tuner. Some also have XM/Sirrius tuners. So, you could feed the antenna for those signals to the receiver.

For ATSC television signals, a UHF/VHF antenna needs to feed directly to your TV (or an external TV tuner).

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
For ATSC television signals, a UHF/VHF antenna needs to feed directly to your TV (or an external TV tuner).

And then feed the audio to the HT receiver via optical cable. Most HDTVs have this capability. That way you will get access to the digital audio encoded into the stream.

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
My TV antenna has a coax cable that goes drectly to my HDTV, getting both video and audio on the TV. Now I am thinking of feedding it to a new HT Receiver (planning to buy Pioneer 1019ah-k) which has am/fm plus serius tuners, to improve the sound quality plus maybe the video if I am watching movies from the TV stations. Should I split audio and video? How do I do that?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you feed your antenna signal into the new Pioneer receiver then you will get good FM reception since the FM band can be picked up by a TV antenna. You will NOT receive an TV signals. None. That Pioneer does not have an ATSC tuner.

You split/decode the audio and video by feeding the antenna signal into an ATSC tuner. You are currently doing it by feeding the TV's ATSC tuner. If you have a new TV then you have the latest generation tuner so you are getting the best possible audio and video from the OTA signal.

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
Thanks to everyone for your info. One more question. If I split the antenna signal and feed one to the TV where I will get sound and Video and feed the other to the receiver where I will get good sound with my new sub. Is this possible? Will the receiver sound be delayed?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Splitting the antenna feed only accomplishes sending the TV signal to your TV tuner and the FM radio signal to your receiver's FM tuner. In order to get the best sound while watching TV, in addition to feeding the antenna signal to your TV you will need to run a digital optical cable from the TV to your receiver for the audio, as Justin suggested in post #3 above. You should experience no sound delay when connected in this manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks