Over-The-Air HDTV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by James_Barcus, Nov 27, 2005.

1. James_Barcus

James_Barcus Agent

Guys I got my HDTV and now I want to get a over the air HDTV antenna.. My local NBC station is HDTV but it's over the air.... What do I need?? If this is wrong area... SORRY!

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Judging from antennaweb's recommendation (after plugging in "45750"-- which google said was Marietta's zipcode-- you should be able to receive WTAP-DT with a indoor UHF antenna. The Zenith Silver Sensor is what I use, and I can generally get red ("Medium Directional") stations without much trouble-- although it is carefully aimed.

However, most other stations require a "large directional antenna with preamp". There is only one other Digital station (WOUB-DT) in your area, which makes OTA-HDTV a rather meager proposition.

Personally, I like my OTA setup, but I do get all the networks, save UPN.

3. James_Barcus

James_Barcus Agent

Well yes I only have 1 channel, maybe 2 that I can receive. How ever.. I am wanting something for the future of my area as it will soon be a staple I hope.. Any who.. I am probably going to get one because they show all NBC programming that is presented in HDTV and I watch a lot of those shows.. Thanks! I will look into the antenna! (edit) what is a pre-amp?? I'm new to the over the air stuff.. I get HDTV from Charter.. just don't get my Local NBC from them)

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

hmm... I'm not quite sure of the difference between a preamp, and a distributiion amp. Perhaps because of this, I've had the worst luck with cheap amplifiers, and usually end up discarding them. The users of my local area thread on avsforum seem to be using the ChannelMaster 7777 preamp-- low noise, high gain, high price. Y

Outdoor antennas are color coded-- and so you should be able to find a "purple" antenna for your roof. Indoor antennas are not color coded-- generally they are only sensitive to green and yellow stations.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Distribution amps typically have several outputs, to feed several TV sets. Antenna preamps or antenna boosters usually have more gain at the output, and just one output jack.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm