Over the air antenna question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Weldy, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

If I want an hdtv over the air antenna. How many times can this be split. I am needing about 18 times split.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Thats too many.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You'll need some boosters/repeaters in between the antenna and each feed...but 18 does seem excessive. You'll need more antennas.

4. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Definitely a job for one (or several) good distribution amplifiers...

A (sort of) related question: do the little in-line "barrel" F connectors cause a significant signal loss? I'm updating an old house for HDTV and it would be a lot easier if I could put a few "breaks" in the cable.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The rule of thumb is that each split causes a 3dB loss in signal strength.

6. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

Don't need to get too personal, but why do you need to split 18 times? Are you wiring some sort of control room to mastermind your evil plot to rule the world? [​IMG]

7. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Thanks, Patrick
    I'm aware of the 3dB (I've heard numbers as high as 4 dB) for a split, but I'm just talking about joining two cables to make one longer cable. How much loss is there in the coupling?

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

That's a function of the total length of the run of cable (the resistance of the cable gets higher as the run gets longer, which would cause signal loss). But unless we are having to consider super-long runs, you should be okay.

9. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Using an in-line "barrel" connector to make a longer run should not have any effect on signal strength. The ones I have seen are listed as "0 db insertion loss" which means that there should not be any signal change. This is different from a splitter where there will be 3 db (i.e. half the signal) loss for each split.

Matt, I would recommend some good distribution amplifiers for what you are planning to do. If you decide to use multiple antennas, make sure that they are not right next to each other. I don't remember the minimum, but I believe they should be 20 or 30 feet from each other to prevent problems with multipath.

SMK