What's new

Over paid Worst Actor (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Spacey. He looks so self-consciously aware in every role that he's never been able to create a complete and believable character.
This statement gives me the perfect opportunity to use one of my favorite symbols: :rolleyes
:)
I agree with Keanu Reeves, Adam Sandler, Brenden Frasier, and Julia Roberts.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, I like Adam Sandler (not his three most recent movies, but I'm still a fan), but there's no WAY this schlub should be getting 20 million a shot! Sheesh!
Also...VIN DIESEL! He turns down a $15 million offer for FATF 2 because his agent wants him in the "20 Mill Club" or some such nonsense? Again, I think Diesel can be very cool, but is he really an 'opener'? FATF didn't blow up because Diesel was in it. That movie was advertised PERFECTLY, and gave the intended demographic a good mindless time. Nicky Katt could have played Diesel's role and that movie would have grossed about the same. What if XXX 'underperforms' a little at the box office? Someone's gonna look real wacky for signing Vin to a Part 2 already!
Also, Freddie Prinze Jr. I don't care if he earns six postage stamps and a kiwi for his performance; he's being overpaid.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Rob, that's pretty rude. Can't you think of anything intelligent to say? Spacey's coy, knowing performances shatter my suspension of disbelief and take me right out of every movie he's been in. Explain to me how I'm wrong for thinking that.

Or perhaps you'd prefer to send me a childish and insulting private message like Rain did.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
While I think Kevin Costner is a better actor than Sandler and Roberts, he is the most overpaid as his movies never seem to bring in as much money as the others do.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Freddie Prinze Jr. for guys(no matter what he gets paid). You know what they say,the only good thing Freddie Prinze Jr has been in is Sarah Michelle Gellar :laugh: That one cracks me up every time.
Julia Roberts for the ladies.
I think that Ben Affleck is a pretty decent actor but unfortunately every time I see him, I can only see Holden McNeal. I do have to say that I crack up every time I hear him say "Neo-Facists" in the ads.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I thought that Kevin Spacey was just right in L.A. Confidential -- his character WAS coy, knowing, etc. He really made the movie for me. I also thought that Spacey hit a home run with The Iceman Cometh on Broadway.
Actors I can do without: Gweneth Paltrow, Julia Roberts, Adam Sandler, Tom Cruise, F. Prinze Jr., Jim Carrey, the newly anorexic Christina Ricci...
So far as OVERPAID, if they make the investment back at the box office, by definition they are not overpaid, no matter how much I hate them.
Ted

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Forget it, I'm not even going to bother going there. Nothing to see here. :)

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Shall I actually post your lovely messages to show the good folks here how much class you display in private?

No, those were meant to be private and shall remain so, but they would point out the sizable hypocrisy of that "classy" remark.

Edit: Oh, wait, Rain edited his message. I suppose this should be ignored now.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I can think of two Kevin Spacey performances that I think were perfect. L.A. Confidential and his Wiseguy tv show arc.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I thought he was pretty damn good in American Beauty. I can't think of another actor that would have been as effective in that part.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I'm all over the Julia Roberts selection. Haven't seen a single performance by her that has not made me retch.

Agree totally with Sandler as well. The only funny thing he's done is the Hanukkah song.

As for Spacey, I think he's an awesome actor. American Beauty is my favorite of his. I am concerned, though, with his recent choices of films (K-Pax, Pay It Forward, Shipping News).

The all-time king of the overpaid, though, must go to Stallone. Aside from the first Rocky, he's done nothin' worth seeing.

Jon

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
My vote goes to:

Sandra Bullock
Julia Roberts
Freddie Prinze Jr
John Travolta

I'm sure there's more, but these come to mind first. I like Affleck and think he's a fairly decent actor, its just some of the movies he's been in (aside from Kevin Smith flicks) have had some cheesy lines/roles. I also think Kevin Spacey does a good job in LA confidential and American Beauty.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
The heart of this thread is to combine "overpaid" with "lousy acting".
I'm a believer that many of those mentioned are indeed lousy actors... when you throw "overpaid" into the mix, then it becomes difficult. If people pay to see the lousy actor, then they cannot qualify for the question.
Case in point... Adam Sandler or Julia Roberts.
To me, if you ever watch Kevin Costner, he doesn't act. He looks like "Kevin Costner as a..." in any film he does, instead of actually developing character.
He hasn't rebounded from Waterworld, so currently he tops my list.

Scott Reiss

Agent
A surprising absence here is Nicholas Cage, who mumbles, moon-faced, through every film. He tops my list.

I would agree with most other suggestions here, and would add Laura Dern to the actress category.

But on the positive side, how about Spacey in The Usual Suspects? Pretty strong performance, I thought.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I agree with you 100% on Nicholas Cage, what a joke his career has become since Leaving Las Vegas.
There are some actors who continue to star in films, although they haven't had a hit in a long time.
John Travolta - not a bad actor, he just picks lousy films
Kevin Costner
Freddie Prinze Jr
Sylvester Stallone
I dislike Julia Roberts, Ben Afleck & Adam Sandler, but since, regretably, their films make money, I can't call them overpaid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks