What's new

Over-ear headphone (1 Viewer)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for an over-ear headphone for about $50 to use at nite time. This is 70/30 movies/music. It has to be over-ear type and comfort. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Al,

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
Grado SR-60 break the price/performance narrier, but will stretch you to $69 for a new pair, including shipping.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I use a pair of Advent wireless and have been very pleased with them. I own some wired better sounding phones but these do a good job for late night listening and are comfy witch is what I wanted. I paid like $49 online for them. Also comes with the standard recharger.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Tom and Mike for the input. I did check out the Grado SR-60. It's kinda ugly. I haven't have a chance to look at the advent wireless headphone yet. I'll check them out tomorrow. What do you guys think about the Sony MDR-V6? The reviews look really good. It's a little over my budget but if it's worth it. I will get it. The Sony looks pretty good. Keep it coming... Thanks all.

Al,

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
didnt they discontinue the V6 awhile ago? i think they rebadged it to another model though.

another vote for the SR60. you're only using them at home, at night... who cares what they look like.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
You can still find the Sony MDR-V6 brand-new. These are not the same as the later MDR-V600. You can also get the MDR-7506, which is the professional version of the V6. The V6 sounds quite good and they are very durable. I plan on buying a pair before Sony really stops production.

I have owned the Grado SR60 for almost 8 years and they sounded amazing. Just replaced the original earpads this week with Sennheiser HD414 pads....now they are a little more comfortable. However, the SR60 is an open design, meaning that they will leak sound to the outside. Keep that in mind when you're deciding.

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6's. Have had 'em for years. Overall, good bass extension, highs not as detailed as the Grados. Good set of cans, easy to live with.

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
I also have some MDR-V6 headphones. I use them daily at work and they block more external sound than my coworkers noise cancelling headphones. You can have music really cranked up and nobody will hear you either. Highly recommended. I believe the MDR-7506 are exactly like the original V6.

For critical headphone listening where I don't care if people can hear the headphones, I still turn to my Sennheiser HD-580s.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I could care less what they look like as well and I think almost any in this price range will work for what you want. At least that was my feeling for how little I use them. Once a week if that. My main concern even over sound was could they stay comfortable on my head and ears for several hours at a time while in the recliner with a pillow behind my head....
MikeL

GregBe

Second Unit
I have been doing a lot of late night movie watching with the family sleeping, so I was considering a good set of headphones. My receiver does have three Dolby Headphone modes that intrigue me. I would think I would get more enjoyment out of some good headphones as opposed to listening to my system at a much reduced volume. Any thoughts on this either way.

I am strongly considering the Grado SR60's as they have received some nice reviews. If I increase my budget to $150, do you think I can do better than the 60's for home theater?

Thanks
Greg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can get the SR-80s with a 12' extension cord for $95 with free shipping here. I've bought from these guys. Very good service. They are in Ca though, so tax applies to you and I Greg.

There was another thread a while back that had the SR-125 for $100 or so though. I don't remember how far back that was though (or if it was even this forum...).

I prefer, and have always used Sennheisers as well.

GregBe

Second Unit
Thanks John,

Since posting this, I did a little more research and read some really good things about the Sennheiser HD555 which lists for $150, but can be had for under $100. Do you know of these headphones, and even if not, it sounds like you have listened to both Grado and Sennheiser. How would you describe the differences?

Thanks
Greg

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Just another plug for the V6, 8 years and going strong with velvet pads from Bayerdynamic.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To me, the Grados had a more detailed sound, but the warmer Sennheisers were more pleasant sounding, if a little less accurate. The SR-60s were uncomfortable almost immedately, while I can listen to my Senns for hours.

Don Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Sennheiser HD 280 pro's. I can wear them for hours without discomfort. They sound great too and are probably around $100US or less these days. I paid about $200CAD a few years ago. Definitely worth checking out!!

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
I just got back from a little trip to Sequoia. Anyway, I'm now considering the Sennheiser HD515 which listed at $99 at compusa. I have a friend that can get me some discount maybe 25% off. So what do you guys think about the Sennheiser HD515 for around $75? Can I do better? Thanks.

Al,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks