What's new

Over 50 classic atari games in 1 cartridge coming to Gameboy advance ,next month ! (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Its the activision anthology !This is probably the closest we will come to having a portable atari !This will rock on the gba SP !:emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This sounds perfect for GBA - unfortunately I doubt they can fit many of the extras from the PS2 version like the cheesey 80s video game commercials and the vintage music soundtrack ... but looks like they'll have more games (and I'm sure other extras) -- cool!

Granted, these games will be of lesser (or much lesser) interest to those who didn't grow up with these games. While many of them hold up, their simplistic gameplay and graphics (addicting as it all can be) might offend all but the most nostalgic.

The activision games were great, but I sure miss some of the other "first-party" (etc.) games like adventure, combat, surround, fantastic voyage, and even "so bad they're good" games ilke raiders of the lost ark (you needed two joysticks! woo!) and E.T.

Anyone hear anything more about the "intellivision lives!" project? Any word on console possibilities?

~s

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I don't think the GBA SP's controller is versatile enough for games like Kaboom! and River Raid. Say what you will about the Atari joystick but I always thought I had better control with it than a gamepad.

I have this collection for my PS2 and it plays very well with an ANALOG controller.

Maybe with the GBA player you'll get better results.

Mike

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know if it will have(gba) SeaQuest? I still have my atari but its a pain to swap consoles around so most of the time it and my games stay packed away nice and safe in plastic. Anyway back to Seaquest it was a little sub game game one of my favorite 2600 games. Would be a blast to play on the GBA.

edit: WOOT! just checked IGN and on the list of games SeaQuest is on it YEEEHHAWW!

Barnstorming
Boxing
Checkers
Chopper Command
Cosmic Commuter
Crackpots
Dolphin
Dragster
Enduro
Fishing Derby
Freeway
Frostbite
Grand Prix
H.E.R.O.
Ice Hockey
Kaboom!
Keystone Kapers
Laser Blast
Megamania
Oink!
Pitfall!
Plaque Attack
Pressure Cooker
Private Eye
River Raid
River Raid 2
Seaquest!
Skiing
Sky Jinks
Spider Fighter
Stampede
Starmaster
Tennis
Title Match
Baseball
Beamrider
Bloody Human Freeway
Bridge
Decathlon
Pitfall 2
Robot Tank
Skateboardin'
Space Shuttle
Tomcat F14
Venetian Blinds
Kabobber
Thwocker
Climber 5
Okie Dokie
Oystron
Skeleton+
SpaceThreat Deluxe
Vault Assault
Video Euchre

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Wow, pretty cool.

Kaboom is most fun using the original "paddle"-type controller (with a knob)... anything else, including analog, is sketchy at best.

Still, I would imagine PS2-analog is better than the GBA pad.

From what I can tell, these games are NEW to the GBA version:

bloody human freeway (perhaps a hack of freeway??)
skateboardin'
venitian blinds
climber 5
okie dokie
oystron
skeleton+
spacethreat deluxe
vault assault
video euchre

If you've not played 2600 games, think of this as WarioWare with slightly better/more complicated games. :D

~steve

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
TechTV's The Screensavers had a report on the Intellivision PS2 package along with the video game system built in the gamepad. Basically, the only enhancements applied to the games are extended music tracks. The games themselves haven't been changed in any way.

After seeing that piece, I felt very old all of a sudden! I was in my early teens when the video game revolution began. Now I'm almost forty and feel so out of date! :)

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Francois.. I know how you feel. I remember how awesome it sounded when I heard about "bank switching" for atari 2600 allowing games to use 8k of memory !
And of course the 16K atari 5200 berserk. Whoa!
Let us not forget the graduate (atari 2600 computer upgrade) which would have (gasp at the time 32k!!) and push the graphics level past that of the atari computer line!
Those were the days. NOW I feel old too. (34) :b :)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I have the PS2 Activision Anthology and I was a little disappointed. I couldn't get the Kaboom controls working correctly for me. I had no control over the catching platform thingies, they just swung wildly back and forth. I used to be a pro at the game back 20 years ago. Maybe, I'm missing some sort of configuration setting?

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Any games that require the paddle controller (games like breakout, kaboom!, warlords, etc. - though only kaboom! is included on the activision set) ... those games are pretty much impossible to control faithfully unless a special paddle controller is created/supported. Sort of a shame really. I was able to do "pretty well", but it just isn't the same.

s

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks