Oval Dish / Sat C kit for HD plus 2 directivos install question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

ok guys...i'm about to have an oval dish (winegard elliptical DirecTV is sending me) installed with the sat c kit.

what's key to this setup is that i have 2 existing directivos being fed by a 2x4 switch. And one of the tivos is at the TV with the built in HD receiver i'm going ot activate...so the tivos don't need anything from the 110/119 combined HD feed.

I don't think the dish has a built in multiswitch (it's a winegard elliptical)....can i run the 101 output of the dish to the 2x4 switch i already have going to 2 directivos, and run the combined 110/119 line stright to the HD receiver (that i don't need non-HD programming on b/c one of the directivos is at that TV with the built in receiver)???

so with this setup, i don't need to buy an additonal 5x4 for the dish, right?

2. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I have a similar problem - I'm going to leave my current dish up, feeding 1 directivo. The dish I bought (Terk) appears to have a built-in multiswitch, so I'll use those 4 lines to feed another Directivo, a Hughes box, and the HDTV box. I'd worry that the HDTV tuner might continually "search for signal" unless it gets a signal from the 101 LNB.

3. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

larry -

if the hd receiver is seeing 110 and 119, why would it be searching for signal if tuned to one of the 3 HD channels? that's all i'd be using it for.

4. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I'm speculating, of course, but if the dish expects a signal from the 101 satellite and doesn't find it, it may put up a "searching for signal" banner. It may not be possible to set up the receiver to expect a signal from 110 and 119 but not 101. The normal setups would be 101 only, 101 and 119, or all three - 101, 110 and 119.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I've read that some HD receivers act up if they don't get a signal from the 101 satellite. It has something to do with the guide information. You should find more info over at AVS Forum in the HDTV hardware section.
    -Robert