1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Outtakes : why don't we see them more often?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Harvey, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I was having lunch today with a few friends, and we were discussing the relative merits of why DVD has had such great acceptance by general consumers. One obvious point is that price points are close enough to VHS, but the discs usually also contain bonus features (whether they are used or not). However, one friend made a very interesting comment -- he rarely if ever listens to commentaries, and doesn't care that much for movie trailers. The one item he really wishes that more discs had were outtakes of mistakes, crack-ups, etc. The few movies I've seen that features these (Rush Hour 2, Toy Story, Bugs Life, etc.) definitely are the highlight of bonus materials, MUCH more interesting than most stuff they cram on the disc.

So, why haven't we seen more of this? Are there legal or royalty issues that make outtakes tougher to compile and offer on DVD?

Rich

2. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

Maybe actors or directors don't want to look foolish or stupid. Don't really know but I loved the ones on From Dusk till Dawn.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It's interesting that you've picked three examples where the "outtakes" really aren't outtakes in the classic sense -- they're part of the movie as intended. In the case of Rush Hour 2, it's a longstanding Jackie Chan tradition, which started as a way of showing that he really did do his own stunt work. In the case of Toy Story (I assume you mean "2"} and Bug's Life, the "outtakes" had to be "staged" and created as a kind of parody (or maybe it's a homage) of the whole idea of an outtake. As one of the Pixar guys says in the Bug's Life supplements, "There is no camera to knock over. There is no lens to smear."

My point is that just because these particular examples are hilarious doesn't mean that outtakes in general would be entertaining. Watching actors blow their lines isn't necessarily funny or engaging. In fact, if you want an example that has just the opposite effect, check out the Ed Harris outtakes on the Criterion edition of The Rock.

M.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Simple: One of 2 reasons

1- Actor's agents feel gag reels make their client look incompetant or stupid, and forbid them (usually w/o asking said talent)

2- Actors demand mad cash for them. V was supposed to have a gag reel but one unidentified cast member demanded $10,000.

I'm a big proponent of gag reels, and so seems to be Michael Bay. Yet another reason to respect the man instead of rag on him.

5. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

6. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Yeah, we could use more outtakes! I think definitely just about every comedy should have them. The outtakes on Big Mama's House are hysterical, and one of the big reasons I bought Liar Liar was for the additional outtakes.
    To see outtakes from Star Wars was something really special, and I don't see any problem having them as easter eggs sometimes. The way Bryan Singer participated for Usual Suspects was really awesome.
    Does anybody know if LOTR is going to have outtakes? I bet they'll be in there somewhere among the 4! discs.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Sometimes, they're not saved.

In the age of laserdisc, more directors thought ahead...but in the older years, it's just trash.

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

9. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I'll throw out an example that was not staged that I enjoyed: Cannonball Run. The point is, it's great seeing some of these actors that otherwise seem or appear "stuck up" to be down to earth and more humanized. How could this possibly be bad for their PR?

Rich

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>BTW: I despise it when a DVD is advertised as having "Special Features" which include only "still photo galleries" and "cast bios". BORING! >>
    Agreed. OR an easter egg where DVD Credits are suddenly found. THat's not something intresting. And EVERY DVD contains bios, if not a photo gallery.
    I'd love to see more outakes. I.E. Star Trek outakes. What I'd really love to see, is have someone follow the Enterprise actors around the set for a few days. If the Enterprise crew is as mischevious as the previouis ones, we should see some good stuff happen during those few days [​IMG].
    Here's hoping they do something really special for the Nemesis DVD, for a crew that's legendary in this type of stuff.

11. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Actors are also human beings and nobody is perfect. Human
    beings do make mistakes. When gag reels and outtakes are included in DVDs just enjoy it with a laugh. As Michael
    Reuben says, one should take a look at CC The Rock of
    Ed Harris outtakes, he was probably mad at himself for not
    able to remember his lines and only the poor telephone was
    taking the full brunt of his frustrations.
    Its only human[​IMG]

12. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

But being human beings they also tend to have egos, sometimes rather large ones, which could hurt the chances of outakes being included.

13. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

X-Files Season Box sets NEED to include gag reels!

I've seen some bits of them on the net and they are some of the funniest things I've ever seen

14. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

A lot of very good points. Outtakes also include mistakes by unseen crew members, etc. For instance, I recall seeing some hilarious Star Trek Original Series outtakes featuring main actors slamming their faces into those automatic doors because crew members weren't fast enough at opening them. Priceless!

15. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

16. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I love outtakes. I think a dvd is definitely a bonus with them. The funniest outtakes I've seen are from Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men. It's great that they included them in the credits of the film. I wonder if there are more! I'd like to see those dvds put in oar and have some more outtakes added for bonus material.

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

That's the thing that pisses me off the most

The bootleggers are making money from the gag reels, while the company doesn't see a dime

Just tell the agents to get a sense of humor, and write gag reels into the contracts as part of the deal

18. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I don't know, My Man Godrey is from 1936 and the Criterion DVD has outtakes, and they're actually really funny! I'd like to see more bloopers from older classics.

19. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I love the outtakes from Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men. My favorite is with Walter Matthau in the bathtub saying "If I knew there was gonna be a nude scene, I would've asked for another million!" Classic stuff...

Ed Harris does come off as extremely intense in the outtakes from The Rock. He seems to be very dedicated to his craft.

20. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Rat Race has some great outtakes. One especially funny where Seth Green keeps cracking up while "mumbles" tries to get out his lines. It is about 5 minutes and what makes it even more interesting is that during the 'commentary phone calls' you get to hear from Seth talking about that take what was so hard.
    I also bought LIAR LIAR specifically for the added outtakes. I just wish they included more like some of the ones they mention in the commentary.
    Outtakes are by far my favorite extra feature. Even staged ones like Toy Story and A Bugs Life. Pixar has a great sense of humor. [​IMG]