Outstanding Projector screen....for around $36.00

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DuWayne, Jan 13, 2004.

1. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

Ok, as some of you may know, I just recieved my Z2 and was projecting it on a textured wall with a glossy finished. This was by no means a perfect situation. Due to the wonderful picture I (thought) I was seeing, purchasing a $700 screen (or $260 material) just didn't seem worth it.

So, this past weekend, a friend and I decided to build a screen that would not only do the job, but be WAY under the cost of traditional screens.

So long story short (prob. too late):

1. Went to Home Depot
    2. Purchased 2 8' MDF boards (2 1/2" wide)
    3. Purchased 2 4'x8' plywood boards with a flat-white vinyl coating
    4. Appropiate achors and screws

I had Home Depot cut one of the 4'x8' boards to 1'x8'. This gave me my 5'x8' screen that I needed, while using the MDF as supports. The whole thing took about 45min to complete.

The only thing now, is to get rid of the line where the two boards are joined. So I purchased some Scotch Plastic Tape. The only issue is, the tape is a little shiny, so I may get some White Masking Tape and see how that looks. That way I can always paint the Tape flat-white.

image: 110'

We put on "The Hulk" and was floored. But better yet, duing the day, we put on "Bad Boys II" and you wouldn't believe how much better the image look with ambient light still in the room.

I promise, I will post pictures this week.

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Interesting. Do you have a SKU/part # for the plywood board with flat-white vinyl coating? Why did you buy two pieces by the way? (Do they need to be stacked?)

I'm a projector newbie--just got a Panny PTAE500U to replace my 53" HD RPTV. I got a white Gatorboard (as touted in an avsforum thread) from an art supply store & made that my screen. The results are great (not that I've compared it to a 'real' screen). I used (2" wide) industrial strength velcro to make the borders. The cloth side w/adhesive works great as a border.

3. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

It will be interesting to see if you can hide the seam. If not then a better approach might be to join the two panels of dry wall together, tape the joint, and then put a thin coat(s) of spackle on the entire surface to hide the seam. Then you can paint with either a flat white or something with a slight grey tint to increase contrast (if necessary). The cloth side of the adhesive backed Velcro sounds like a perfect border.

4. kirtis_mcleskey

kirtis_mcleskey Stunt Coordinator

how much did it cost

IM wanting a screen really bad , I mean wouldn it be better to have a 92 inch screen , than a 44 inch television that costs the same

5. DuWayne

...hence the title of the thread.

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

I haven't tried it myself, but some avsforum guys have been happy w/the screen material from this eBay guy.

7. DuWayne

Ok...I put the White masking tape on top on the white Plastic tape and painted the masking tape with a Flat-White. Presto! The seam disappeared. When a picture is projected, it looks just like one 5'x8' piece of vinyl.

This added $10.00 to the total cost.

8. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Brajesh,

Can't you provide any links to the discussions over on AVS about the E-bay screen material?? I've searched and searched and can't find any discussion of it. TIA...Mike

9. Brajesh Upadhyay

10. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I ordered and received my material from the "ebay guy". I haven't had a chance yet to make a frame for the material but I tack it up just to see and it looked very good to my admittedly unedjucated eyes.

I hope to put the screen together in a week or so. The material itself looks well made. I am not, however, very familiar with screen materials.

11. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Sounds like the same thing I use, the doable products board (63036) from HD. Works as well or better than the Parkland Screen I used to have, and I didn't even need to paint it.

- Jack

12. Brajesh Upadhyay

Hmm, I'll have to go to my Home Depot & see if they have it. They don't carry Parkland. I'm curious to see how it compares to my Gatorboard screen.

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This all brings back memories. Congratulations on your projector and screen. Will you be leaving it flat white?

14. DuWayne

I guess...I'm about to post pictures now...You tell me if I need to do anything else after you look at them.

Thanks

15. Aaron_*P

Aaron_*P Stunt Coordinator

I got screen material from ebay (user moakes i think). It works great, incredible picture.

16. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I wish I could get a 5" x 8" material and not have to put together 2 pieces. If u could get the seam to disappear, that would be just wonderful. I myself could probably muck it up and I have virtually 0 skill on mudding and taping.
    Right now, I'm using a 4 x 8 Misty Evening painted lauan plyboard, exiled to just adjusting the zoom on my pj when watching different ARs.

17. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I built my screen using some online advice a few years ago with 2"x2" boards as a frame, stretching a canvas paint drop-cloth over this frame, and then painting it first with a primer and then a recommend white paint (forget which type at the moment).

It has made for a pretty effective and relatively lightweight screen with no lines, splotches, etc. I think the total cost was about $50 and all came from a Sherwin-Williams paint store.

18. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    My projected image is pretty big (100" diagonal at 4:3) and i haven't been able to find a good way to create a one-peice screen. I dont really want to paint if i dont have to.

Ill take a look at HD and check out your idea of the white plywood.