What's new

outside speaker wire (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
I have some pretty expensive equipment inside my house that I am worried about. If for some reason the speaker would fail oh well. However if the problem would come into the house I would really be upset. So either some kind of special wire or some way to block my equiptment from be trashed.

Thanks

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Depends on how long of a run. If it's about 100ft+, I recommend 14gauge, if it's less than 16ga should be fine.

I really like the Monster 4 conductor 16ga direct burial wire. It has a plenum sheath for protection, and string for easy jacket stripping. Expect to pay about $0.90 per foot for it though.

Low voltage lamp wire will work, I don't know what you're priorities are for sound as it will likely change it a bit depending on the speakers. The Parts Express Direct Burial speaker wire is significantly cheaper than the monster stuff and probably works fine.

I like to dig a 12-16" ditch in the ground for low voltage burial wire. This can protect it from a gardner's shovel. I found out that the higher voltage wire requires 24" depth minimum.

Some outdoor manufacturers recommend installing fuses near the loudspeaker to protect the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks