Outrageous!! ...and a moral for the undecided.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dave Simpson, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Can you imagine the sheer impudence and shameless audacity of a so-called "friend" uttering contrary statements regarding the quality of your system?? Yep, I surely would not have believed it either, had not that very thing happened to me. To me, I tell you!
    Why, just last weekend, said "friend" was at my house, and I excitedly beckoned him to give a listen to my newly-purchased Sony ES redbook changer (from a local flea-market; must be about 10 years old; model number escapes me; connected to Yamaha 1500 as pre-pro in Pure Direct mode, Parasound 1205a, and Axiom M60; woefully outdated pics in my sig.). Whereas the new player is creating all sorts of wonderful two-channel psycho-acoustic effects for me, this semi-Luddite has the stones to tell me he thinks it sounds "treble-y". Under my own roof, he says this! He's plainly f**ked in the head. And his taste in music sucks, too..

Moral of the story, 'course, is trust your own ears. Do you dig that pair of speakers over which some on the message boards are giving you second thoughts? Never mind 'em, now. If your ears tell you they sound good, then they probably do.
    Happy listening, and cheers.

DS.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Maybe he's jealous. [​IMG]

From the equip itself, I think you have a pretty good setup. I am also guessing you got pretty good deals on it all too. [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Axioms are a little bright, so your friend may not be too far off base. If he didn't say "It's crap.", then I wouldn't even worry about it too much. On the other side of what you said, just because you like it doesn't mean everyone else will (or has to). If you're happy with it, then nobody's comments should change that.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you're running analog out on that CD player, your friend 'might' be on to something (I don't know if that particular model has digital out). If that's the case, burn a few test tones from 20 - 200 Hz and measure the output voltages at the speakers. If you see it starting low and going higher, then what's happened is that the electrolytic coupling caps have dried or are drying out causing you to lose your bottom end. Just do it when he's not there.

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Sounds like a potential Bose fan to me.[​IMG]

6. Max F

Max F Second Unit

I think many would consider that a "bright" combination of components:

Old CD player, Yamaha, Axioms.

Maybe he meant that its wasn't overly bright so it was "trembley". Not so bad. We all have different ears.

7. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

So you would prefer a friend that always agrees with you? You should feel honored that your friend feels comfortable enough to offer his honest opinion.

8. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Hmm...perhaps the intended playful nature of my post has been misconstrued.

I wouldn't, and I do.

Cheers, fellas.

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Maybe he's used to stereo systems that have the bass knob turned to the right.

10. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Wish i had a friend that cool. [​IMG]

11. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

consider yourself lucky to have a friend who actually has a ciritcal ear! friends like that are...well almsot non existant in the 14 year old bracket.
    friends never see a difference in my speakers, or in my eq settings, or why i hit a bunch of switches after ive finished a movie and want to listen to music.
    the only way to impress them is to show them 120db at 40hz.

12. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I agree, I am 20 but about the only thing most of my friends appreciate is boomy bass (the kind I can no longer stand). It pretty sad actually, I used to be the same way about 5 years ago, but man am I glad I grew out of it quickly. I used to think loud car stereos were the coolest, now when I hear some tough guy with his multi-sub car stereo up way too loud and his car rattling apart I just have to laugh and feel good that I never wasted money on a big budget car stereo. That said I do have one 10” sub in my vehicle but I got that for free :wink:

13. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Maybe your demo CD wasn't mixed in Dubly. [​IMG]

14. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

whoops

15. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

BLASPHEMY!!! Dave, I think I know this guy. He owns a pair of late 80's Fisher speakers that are the size of a doorway and weigh 12lbs each. He uses them as stands for his Aiwa receiver and his fisher tape deck. right?

Yea.. I know him.

16. ray tubach

ray tubach Stunt Coordinator

Jimi C, when I "click here to visit your basement", is that a huge bong I see in one of the pics?

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I see the Lava lamp, but I don't see a bong. [​IMG]

Man, that's sweet HT. I've never thought about making mine all nice with posters and stuff.

18. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

"Jimi C, when I "click here to visit your basement", is that a huge bong I see in one of the pics?"

Noooo.. I dont have a bong.. what pic did you think you saw it in? The pic with the computer? That brown line cutting across the pic is a support pole.

"I've never thought about making mine all nice with posters and stuff. "

You never thought of hanging a poster? Those pics are actually very outdated.. most of those posters are gone. As is most of that other crap. The girlfriend kept buying me little nick-nacks and crap and i would feel guilty if i didnt display them...

19. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Thats what kitchen cabinets are for.

20. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Nice HT picture except the Zwan poster [​IMG].

I have kept silent my criticism of my roommate's setup. I tweaked it to the best of my ability.
    I want my friends to criticize just in a tactful manner.