Output PVR recordings to a PC?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ken Chui, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

In my research of Time Warner's DVR unit (8000), one of the diagrams on their website state that the IE 1344 jacks at the rear of the unit are not functional at this time, therefore, it cannot output DVR recordings to a PC.

Do TiVo or ReplayTV units offer this functionality? There are some programs on TV Land I would like to hold onto, until the respective television studio formally announces a DVD release for that show.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The ReplayTV 4xxx/5xxx models with ethernet connectivity can be used with DVArchive to offload shows from the ReplayTVs to your PC's hard drive.

3. Ken Chui

Thanks for the info, Patrick. I just need to do some shopping for a ReplayTV 40-hour unit now. If anyone has any recommendations re: online or B&M retailers, please post them here.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You just missed the Best Buy Preferred Customer weekend, where you could have used a 10% off coupon to pare down the price. I would recommend buying it from a B&M just for the return policy in case PVRs aren't for you.

Just google on "replaytv 5040" and you'll get plenty of options.

5. Ken Chui

It seems that Circuit City is offering a $50 rebate on the 5040 unit (offer runs until August 31); a final price of $199.99 isn't too shabby. What worries me, though, is the feedback on Epinions.com regarding this model. [​IMG]

I received an e-mail from Turtle Beach this week, inviting me to purchase Snapstream Personal Video Station 3. With a $20 coupon code and an unconditional 30-day money-back guarantee, I may take them up on this offer.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

As long as the Snapstream can do what you are wanting it to do, it's worth a try.

The reason I suggested a B&M purchase is for the ease of return in case you did not like the unit.

7. Ken Chui

I will give the Snapstream software a trial run on my PC. If it works well, I'll hold off on the purchase of the ReplayTV unit. If the quality of the recorded material (through Snapstream) isn't on par with what I was expecting, I'll look into the RTV 5040.

I'll post my impressions of the Snapstream software some time in the future.