1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Output problems.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChadMcCallum, Jan 8, 2005.

1. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

I appologize if this isn't the correct fourm.

I just picked up my first surround sound system today and I have a few problems.

1)I can't get any sound out of the back speakers unless the reciever is set to "Movie Theater". If it's in "Straight" only the front speakers work. Is this normal?

2)When I use the THX Optimode sound test the back speakers don't have any sound. It comes from the front. What's the problem?

3)My reciever supports EX/ES soundtracks but I can never get any sound out of the back center except a slight buzz from the power going to it. I've tried several EX/ES films and nothing has happened. I've also followed the manual's instructions and checked the balance and its fine but I still don't get any sound.

4)Finally I've used a coaxial cable to connect my dvd player to my reciever using my reciever's coaxial input but I don't get any sound. I can only get sound if I use regular red and white cables. Could anyone offer some advice?

I've triple checked my wiring so the problem must be with the way the reciever's set up. My reciever is a Yamaha HTR5750S Dolby Digital Receiver and the speakers are Yamaha NSP436B.

Thanks.

2. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Using the coaxial connection from the DVD player you may have to go into the dvd player menu (without a disc in it) and set it to use the digital out. Same thing for your receiver sometimes. Fool with it until you get sound and don't give up. The red and white are only stereo and you are limited to the processing ability of your receiver to send information to the back speakers.

3. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Re: question 1....you'll only get surround when set to straight if the signal is surround...many digital and hdtv signals are still stereo, not 5:1 , so straight will give you stereo while theater...or any other receiver surround selection...will change the 2 channel signal to a surround signal...the yamaha should indicate in the display whether you're getting a 2 channel signal or a 5:1 signal...so if only your fronts are working, and the display shows only the fronts lit up, then the receiver is fine.

4. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

Thanks for all of the help. I've got it working fine now.