What's new

Outlook Contacts Exporting and some iPod stuff (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all,

First off a question. Is there a simple automated way to export an entire outlook address book so I can move it to another PC and add it to that computer's Outlook? I can do it one by one, but I would like a way to do it all at once. One by one takes to damn long.

Secondly. This more than anything is just bizarre and thought maybe someone could shed some light on it.
Keeping with the first part of this message, I did a test to see what a contact form outlook would look like on my iPod (video) So I went into itunes and told it to Sync with outlook and it did...now in my Outlook on that computer in the address book it has THREE entries. 3 vCards. So imagine my surprise when I sync my iPod and check it and it has over fifty contacts on it. The REALLY weird thing it is contacts for information that is pretty new. The information is some newer info I have on my CELL Phone but I can't recall putting it on that computer in any form. So... where did iTunes pull the information from while syncing with my Outlook?

Weird things abound..

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
you should be able to export your whole list as an .ldif file
where it would be recognizeable by any machine.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
1) Are you talking about Microsoft Outlook, which is included with MS Office, or Microsoft Outlook Express, which is included with Windows and Internet Explorer? They are two completely different programs, despite the similar names.

2) Which version of whichever program you have are you using? MS Outlook stopped using personal address books and started using Contacts a couple of versions ago. (Although you can add an existing address book to the contacts list.)

If you're using MS Outlook your personal addres book is probably saved as a *.pab (Personal Address Book) file somewhere on your harddrive. (Like C:Documents and SettingsUserNameApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook Or yuou may have one (or more) *.wab (Windows Address Book) files. Save something to your contacts list or address book, then check the file dates to see which is being kept current if you find multiple files. Copy them (along with any *.pst files, which are your personal folder files) to your next PC and you should have everything you need.

You can also export all of your Outlook mail, settings and data by using the Import/Export feature on the File menu. You can then import it all back on the new machine/new Windows installation.

Regards,

Joe

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I am using the full version of Outlook that came with Office 2003. This all started when I was just testing syncing my iPod to Outlook so it will add my contacts.

I managed to find the FULL list that the iPod synced with, though the thing is I have NO idea how that information got on that computer. I'm telling you it's weird. In Outlook, if I goto the contacts pane near the bottom left of Outlook, it showed all the 50ish Contacts the iPod synced with. Yet if I am outlook and goto Tools > Address Book it only showed 3 entries. Or vCARDS.

But the main thing is, that computer has contact information I DID NOT ENTER so how the heck did it get on there?

I also can not find an option anywhere to export the address book or settings. I can only find general file exporting in Outlook's file menu.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
In Outlook 2003 your best best is probably a .pst file. Go to File --> Import and Export --> Outlook --> Export to File --> Personal Folder File (.pst) --> Click on "Contacts"

It's probably a good idea to password protect this file as that will make it easier to open on another computer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There is a free utility program available on Microsoft's website that allows you to backup and restore contacts (i.e. address books) and email folders in Outlook. I used this utility a couple of weeks ago to move these items to a new PC I purchased. The program is called Personal Folders Backup and can be found here.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Adam:

That is weird that it added contact information that you didn't have on your PC to your Ipod list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks