Outlet Boxes for Lutron Spacer System

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Domonic A, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    I have a quesiton for you guys that have used the Lutron Spacer System. I have 4 zones of lights wired and wanted to put a switch for each along with a 5 scene master(5wc) in one box. The only problem is I can not find a 5 gang box, do they make one?

What do I have for options other than gong to a 5 scene with the 5wcr that would mount in another box. Since I will already have a 5wcr at the other end of the room I would prefer to have a 5wc at the entrance.

Worst case can I wire two 5wcr on the same system?

Thank You,

Domonic

2. Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Agent

I am doing the same setup in my home theater. You have a couple of options. Try an electrical supply store to see about ordering a 5 gang junction box. According to my electrician they exist but are quite pricey. Or you could probably make your own using a little creativity, a two and a three gang box, and a knife [​IMG] .

What I have done is mounted the remote version of the Master Controller next to the equipment rack which is located to the front and side of the theater. This way I can aim my remote to the same location for all functions. It uses a low voltage wire to connect to the 4 dimmers. My dimmers are located at the back of the room by the entrance door, which would be behind the seating position and would be inconvenient to aim at from the seating position. The remote Master Controller and dimmers are on a separate circuit from my components to hopefully eliminate any AC noise from them. By the way, several universal remotes have pre-programmed Lutron dimmer commands so you may not even need to order the Lutron remote controller. When my install is done I will program a macro on the remote that will automatically open the curtains to reveal the screen, dim the lights over 60 seconds, and turn on the appropriate equipment for the movie. Using the spacer system is realitively cheap, especially compared to the Grafik Eye congiguration.

One caveat to the remote master controller is that you have to be able to run that low voltage wire which probably means doing it before the sheetrock is in place or somehow getting it to the dimmers.

3. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

4. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I'm missing something here, but to me, the solution is simple. Plastic boxes are available in 5 gang, or you can get gangable metal boxes. Get 5 single gang boxes, take the sides off of them, and screw them together. They are readily available anywhere electrical supllies are sold. Here's a link: Switch boxes

5. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    I did pick up the metal gangable boxes. My only concern is that the inside space is smaller and want to make sure I have enough room for all the wires inside?

Thanks again for the help.
    Domonic

6. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Domonic, you can get the boxes 3 1/2" deep. There is also what we call a sidecar to add more space for wires, although you would only be able to use that in new construction.