What's new

Outlaw's new pre/pro, the 990. (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... my TV has a single HDMI input, and though I prefer a direct connection, having the ability to switch between DVD-HDMI and HDTV-HDMI sources might have been nice. I know there are DVI-HDMI adapters, but obviously the simplest chain is preferable (which is why I'd be satisfied with a direct connection). Not a deal-breaker for me, but rather unfortunate I think.

Am I correct in understanding that there's only a single set of analog multichannel inputs? As I still find that separate DVD/DVD-A and CD/SACD players are superior to most universals (and for a lower combined price), two sets of multichannel inputs are an absolute necessity for me. But this new Outlaw won't support that?

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
No it will not. Don't know very many prepros that do (my Lex MC12 didn't). Both formats appear to be on life support, so I doubt very many manufacturers will be offering what you require. They typically don't offer products to satisfy a potential audience of one (being facetious but not too...)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Regarding HDMI, is anybody use it for audio transfer as well?If no there is an adapter to use DVI cables with HDMI sockets, the press release mention this sort of.So I wouldn't sweat it.Oh yeah how many products under $1500 currently,or in the pipeline have HDMI switching capability?

Brent_S

Second Unit
Sherwood-Newcastle is a brand name owned by Etronics Corp. of Korea (Link Removed). Etronics is an OEM design & manufacturing house, probably in the same vein as Easttech. In a 2001 interview, Jeff Hipps said in a good year, they might make 30% of the world's Dolby certified receivers. So it's entirely possible that Etronics designed and/or manufactures the 990 for Outlaw.

I doubt Sherwood's worried too much about competing directly with Outlaw. At least probably no more than any other brand that has a retail distribution network worries about one internet only competitor. People buy for many reasons beyond a simple price/feature ratio.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
JVC has a receiver with 2 in, 1 out switching in the pipeline for $550. Yamaha has one(receiver) for $1800 but we all should be able to get one for $1500 or less.

Personally I think its a mistake but not a deal killer. The lack of an auto eq/room eq is a bigger mistake IMHO.

That still doesn't mean that I'm not interested..

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

My Lex MC8 has the capability of assigning 6 of the 8 analog stereo audio inputs to be configured as two 5.1 inputs (for handling separate SACD and DVD-A players) if this is a priority. Each 5.1 analog audio stream is constructed from 3 of the stereo analog audio inputs (5.1 = 3 x 2). I hope I've made myself clear here rather than complicating things.

That said, I personally use the MC8 configured to accept one 5.1 audio stream from my SACD/DVD-A combo player (a Denon 2900) so that I still have 5 sets of analog audio stereo inputs for my many other audio devices. The MC-8 has incorporated a very flexible mapping system that can be changed to suit the needs of most analog audio situations. Very elegant.

To summarize: There are three configurations for the 8 analog stereo inputs in the MC-8
  • 8 stereo analog channels
  • 5 stereo analog channels and one 5.1 set-up
  • 2 stereo analog channels and two 5.1 set-ups

The best thing about all this flexibility is that it doesn't matter which way the audio winds are blowing. You can always reconfigure the audio to your current needs (within limits).

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Interestingly, the flagship MC12 does not offer this. It has only one set of 5.1 analog inputs, although I typically digitized the 5.1 inputs to make use of bass management, distance settings, etc.

I realize many would say this ruins the high res experience, but I personally prefer real 5.1 surround if I can get it, with proper BM.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I digitize my incoming hi-res at the MCH inputs on my Integra receiver to get the best slope/xover/time alignment I can. It was the most important feature in choosing it over other receivers in its price range (after my original choice didn't pan out). It's still hi-res.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

The MC-8 came out quite a while after the MC-12 and I think that this mapping feature of the MC-8 can't be accomplished via an easy upgrade. While the MC-12 is still the flagship of Lexicon pre/pros it is a bit dated in this one area. However, for many people this is not an issue at all.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
If you squint at the back of the Outlaw and especially here ("view larger image") at the left-most row of RCAs, I am 99.9% sure both processors have two 5.1 inputs.

For the Outlaw (& Sherwood):
:eek:

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I've seen that, it is definitelly a contender here even for higher price, it has more features to boot.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
This also explains why Sherwood gear offers so much bang-for-the-buck. Less hands in the till, you're buying directly from the manufacturer with no licensing moneys going out. I love Sherwood gear. But wait, I love Outlaw gear also.. so confused!!!! (ironically I sold off all my S/N and Outlaw gear lasy year!)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Well, for one thing, all the DACs on my receiver are at 24/192, so they are equal to the task. Second, the sonic difference between redbook and DVD-A/SACD is still readily apparent, so if there is some "degradation" going on, it's inaudible. Third, I'm not a technical expert, but I've discussed it (via posts here and elsewhere) with John Kotches and he shares my view on this (the best shorthand I can give is as follows: the signal leaving the player is in hi-res, as it is reading a hi-res source. It is then taken by the receiver and processed with DACs (Wolfson, if that matters, in this case) that are fully hi-res compliant. The processing merely adds speaker delay and time alignment and no other equalization or processing. It is analagous to an HD signal passed via analog output of an HD source being re-digitized for display on an HD capable unit--it remains HD despite the A/D/A. Is it as "pure" as an unconverted signal? No. Is it still of high enough resolution to qualify as HD or hi-res? Yes. Apologies to John if I mangled his explanation).

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
EVERYONE used to have a dd/dts "ready" receiver, which now , with the right universal dvd player can also do dvda & sacd , albiet with 6 analog audio cables...then everyone said "digital connections must be better right?" and we purchased a rcvr that had dd/dts processors in the rcvr...then we had sacd & dvda ...then the push for a digital connection for those formats (which was plagued by some cross compatability issues and the conversion of DSD to pcm in some cases).....now everyone who HAS an Ilink and/or HDMI connection is wondering if those connections will handle dd+ and dts-hd...or if they should look to HDMI as the way to handle thos issues...but alas HDMI already needs an uprade to normal SACD/perhaps another to sacd2(?){anyone know much about this format?}....and Hdmi ,while not even finalizing their plans for HDMI1.2, IS BEING ASKED ABOUT SUPPORT FOR BLU-RAY/HD-DVD AND DD+/DTS-hd(those formats , apparently only being offered as analog outputs from cable boxes and satelite receivers...back to the old guy with the dd"ready" receiver who now needs a "6-channel analog in" switch box and he's still current.....

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Oops! One thing I forgot was that these were preamps, so yea, that probably is just one multichannel input.

But what's weird to me is that some mid-fi receivers, like Sony's STR-DE897 sold right now DOES have two m-ch inputs (one even being 7.1 capable). And I've seen this feature for a couple years now. So it just seems strange to not do this on a $1,000+ component of this quality.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
And what's weirder is that Sony, which is openly hostile to DVD-A and have no DVD players with DVD-A, would include dual high-rez inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks