What's new

Outlaw??? (1 Viewer)

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
hi, i have read many reviews about the outlaw 950 . i am ready to pull to take the plunge . has anyone had any problems with it. frank
equipment list
ati 2505 amp
monster hts 5100
denon 2900
nht evloution speakers
pioneer elite 39tx reciver( to be replaced with outlaw 950)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Nitpicks, but no problems. If you're listening in a stereo mode and hit the "6-CH IN" button you only get the front L/R pair out of the 6-CH in. Screwy. You have to be in a 5.1 mode when you select 5.1 external.

Also, you can't rename the inputs - that's a pain in the ass compared to my old Sherwood where you could rename them.

Sound and performance is exceptional.

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
Philip,

Please elaborate a little on the "6-CH IN".

I picked up the Pioneer 563 a few weeks ago for its DVD-A and SACD capability. I thought I was going crazy, but I think this post may clear a few things up for me. I use Aux 1 on the 950 for both an AudioTron (MP3 listening) and SACD/DVD-A off the Pioneer. The majority of the time I am listening to the Audiotron in stereo, so stereo is the default setting. When I want to switch over to SACS/DVD-A I use a macro that changes over to 6 CH Bypass.

After listening to several Multi Channel SACD's last weekend I could not figure out how to get the dang thing to go into 6 Channel vs. Stereo. I thought the problem was with the Pioneer player.

So, what your saying is if the 950 is set to Stereo for AUX 1 then I switch it over to 6 CH Bypass it will only play in Stereo vs. all six channels? Is the solution to this to first switch to DD/DTS, even if not media is present, then switch to 6 CH Bypass? If not, please clue me in.

Thank you,
Robert Barker
Austin TX

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Robert,

I have had 3 versions of the 950, and can tell you for the money, there is no other preamp on the market that can perform as well at the price point...

Go for it!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
If you're listening in a stereo mode and hit the "6-CH IN" button you only get the front L/R pair out of the 6-CH in. Screwy. You have to be in a 5.1 mode when you select 5.1 external.
Can't these issues be resolved by a firmware update ? Has Outlaw acknowledged the issue ?

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
what do yor mean 3 versions?
and i have the pioneer elite 39tx. its a av reciever, but i am usuing it as a preamp. i have the ati 2505 amp running my system. should i make the switch. is their any benifit to going with a preamp, over staying with the pioneer. ???????????? frankhttp://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/product/detail/0,,2076_4155_36908,00.html

NickSP

Supporting Actor
should i make the switch. is their any benifit to going with a preamp, over staying with the pioneer. ????????????
I doubt whether you will hear a tremendous difference but you will hear a difference primarily because you will be hearing something new.
What you must do is try the Outlaw out for two weeks and then hook up your Pioneer back and see if you still like the Pioneer over the Outlaw.
I have tried the Outlaw prepro and agree with Steve that it is the best prepro in that range and a bargain at $799.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I was a Beta Tester of the 950, and tried several units that had variations, and upgrades in the software .....

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
ok i have been thinking of getting the outlaw 950. i alos considered the rotel 1066. what about adcom?????? any idears for around 1,200 bucks??????????????/ frank

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
For a brand new preamp in this price category, nothing is even close... Just pull the trigger!!! :D

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Frank, get it and try it. Outlaw has a generous return policy.
If you can increase your budget a couple, then your options can include offerings by Nad:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/newsf...mp-9-2003.html

and Integra:

http://www.integrahometheater.com/pr...lass=Separates

The only Adcom I would consider is the GTP880
http://audioadvisor.com/store/produc...fier/Processor
(never mind their price on it as they overprice everything)

Everybody is gonna have a favorite. The only "body" that matters though, is YOU. It's your wallet.
Good luck and remember; do it right the first time even if means spending a little more.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I own the 950, great piece of kit. See if you can audition some of your other considerations on home to compare. With the Outlaw 30 return policy, you can't go wrong.

Gregory M

Auditioning
I have the 950/770 combo with B-stock 950 with klipsch speakers. It replaced a Denon 3801. I am very satisfied with its performance and sound. The only 'glitch' is that separate trim levels can't be set for each format(DTS, DD etc) Overall very happy with Outlaw and almost impossible to beat for the price/performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks