Outlaw Volleyball = FUN!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Rock, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

There was another thread going earlier, but for those who wanted to wait for the reviews of Outlaw Volleyball, let me chime in and give my opinion that it is one fantastic game, especially with friends.

Graphics.
    Not just the ...ahem... "well animated" character models. The animations are very well done also. Bumping, setting, spiking, serving, and blocking look pretty realistic.

Sound.
    Well, here, I like that you can turn the announcer off, which is nice after the first few matches. What I really wish, though, is that you could keep him on, but make him comment only once in a while, not [rant] AFTER EVERY SINGLE PLAY!![/rant]. Another high point is custom soundtracks, in case you'd like to hear your own tunes when you play. I also like that, when using a custom soundtrack, if you're doing a drill that you need to start over, it lets the song keep playing in the background and doesn't start it over or go to the next one. The 5.1 sound could have been used a little more, but all in all it's well done. When you click the right thumbstick, the crowd will taunt, and it will come from the rear speakers. There is also the very realistic sound of airlplanes in the rear speakers occaisionally.

Gameplay.
    This is where this title really shines. It's got all the fun and action of Tennis 2K2, and all the rude humor of Outlaw Golf, except in my humble opinion, this game is much better than Outlaw Golf was (and that wasn't a shabby game!) The solo play is challenging and enjoyable, the minigames ("drills") are a hoot, but there is real joy to be had with 1 or more friends. I've not played over XBL yet, but the reivews I've read all indicate that it is a very smooth running game.

Well, there you have it. If you took a "wait and see" approach, your wait is over. Head on over to your favorite retailer and snatch up a copy of this gem.

Hah! I just previewed the post, and if you use a tag that says "[rant]", you get your text Bold and Italicized.

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I have the game and I agree with everything Chris has said.

Look for me online Chris and I'll play you.

3. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

I've read a few complaints that the single layer game can be too difficult and that the computer never seems to miss. Any opinions on that? I am thinking about picking this up.

4. millercv

millercv Second Unit

It is definately difficult - but it is more challenging than annoying (well once you turn the announcer off).

I thought it was EXTREMELY difficult to start but once I went through the drills and realized "OH that is how you do it" things became much more reasonable.

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

6. Chris Rock

Oh, another great thing about this game (for me) is that my wife likes it and wants to play it with / against me. I'm gonna see about getting a splitter for my XBL headset so that we can both play online and hear the player(s) on the other side. (Has anyone reading this post done this? Does it work?)

About the computer players never missing...haven't noticed too much of that. I've only unlocked a few things, but the cpu players are definitely beatable.

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

The AI gets tougher as you win more matches, you'll see. [​IMG]

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

9. James St

James St Supporting Actor

10. Leslie W

Leslie W Stunt Coordinator

Nightwing and I have the splitter. We really like it. But we also now have 2 Live accounts, mine and his. We still use the splitter on single player games when our gang of gaming friends are all playing together and I want to take part in the conversation, even if I don't play.

We got ours from Here at a nice price

If you don't like the head set that comes with it, you can use most cell phone headsets that will fit into the connector. We have not had any problems with anyone hearing us, and we can both hear them clearly. So no sound quality is sacrificed by splitting it.

11. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

12. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

Well, I picked it up this afternoon so throw me on your friends list guys (or I will send you an invite).

Some quick questions as I have spent about 2 hours this afternoon getting accustomed to it...
    1. In the tour mode, does your red aimer go away? I have it in my drills, exhibition and random modes but it disappears in the tour mode. It only shows up when I am bumping it to my teammate. It doesn't show up across the net when I am serving or spiking like before.
    2. Do you find it difficult using turbo for the special moves?

I think I am just having a little trouble moving from the simplicity of DOAX Volley-ball to this control scheme.

Now with KOTOR coming out and this along with MC2 & MM3, my wife hates me. [​IMG]

13. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

It looks like I'll have to pick this one up then. Hopefully, you'll see me online in the near future [​IMG]

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I've had this for a few days, and I'm not sure if it's a renter or a keeper. My biggest gripe is that it seems arbitrary if your character will make the first hit or not. Sometimes you can be right on the edge of the red circle & miss it, other times the character will just step right in for a perfect bump.

And one of the weirdest design choices I've ever seen was when I unlocked Summer & found out I couldn't use her as a player until I played a few more matches & unlocked some more drills first. What's the point in unlocking a character if you can't use the character immediately?

Overall though, it's enjoyable. Just not as fun as Outlaw Golf. With KotOR coming this week, Outlaw Volleyball might have to wait until a price cut. (I'm trying to be more selective about what I buy)

-Dave

15. Chris Rock

16. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses Chris.

You are right, the special moves do get easier with practice as does everything else. My first hour or so of playing, I felt like I had been taking a lot of volleyballs to the head. I played at least 5 more hours (damn game kept me up til 1 a.m.) and now I am loving it.

It definitely has a higher learning curve than DOAX but I definitely feel OV has a much better playing scheme. It just takes a good bit of practice to get it right.

I went on LIVE last night for about an hour. Played with a bunch of jerks who would not even talk at all. Everyone kicked my butt but I was still only about 90 minutes into the game at that time. I actually felt like a better player after playing on LIVE b/c it seemed more challenging than playing the computer a lot of the time. I went back on the solo play and started kicking serious sand after that.

As for the wife thing...my wife won't touch video games. Jeopardy used to be the only thing that she would play and I don't even think they have it on Xbox. And even if they did, if I was playing Jeopardy with my wife, all I would think about is the great game time I am losing playing Jeopardy. [​IMG]

Hopefully I will see some of you guys on LIVE and we can play a match. It was tough finding decent people to play with last night (decent meaning friendly).

17. Chris Rock