What's new

Outlaw Update! (1 Viewer)

MarkR

Grip
To keep you as up to date as possible on the status of your order for a Model

950, we’d like to take this opportunity to let you know where things stand.

As of today, the first batch of Model 950s has arrived in the US. It will take

a day or so for them to clear customs and be delivered to the warehouse. Once

they are received, we will perform one more round of QA checks to assure that

nothing was missed at the factory and to assure that there is no evidence of

damage due to shipping.

If all goes as expected, when the tests are completed we will insert the

Owner’s Manual and remotes, re-seal the cartons, and begin to process everything for

shipment.

Given the above, we will ship the first 950’s during the week of April 8th. We

had hoped to get some units out this week, but one or two minor, yet

unforeseen, last minute delays in the factory and with our air carrier set things back

one day too many for us to catch up to the original schedule.

As you know, we have promised that no credit cards will be charged until the

units are actually shipped. This means that on the first day or so of shipments

there is an enormous amount of manual paperwork to be completed and

double-checked for accuracy. We could have gained a day or two at this important back-end

point by charging the cards when the orders were received, but that wouldn’t be

fair to you. We made the decision long ago to make certain that your credit

line is not impacted from any delays on our part. We trust that you will bear with

us this one last time, but processing orders in this manner is done for your

protection.

We know that some might call this yet another part of the great "Outlaw

conspiracy", but it has been our long stated policy not to ship the Model 950 until it

is "ready for prime time." Having seen recently what happened to one of our

worthy competitors when something shipped with a minor error (despite the best

efforts of those involved) we wanted to make certain that the Model 950 was,

indeed, operating as advertised. We’d much rather field all the flames in the

various on-line forums for slowing down our schedule than ship a product we were not

satisfied with.

The next communication you will receive from us will be the confirmation of

your shipment along with the tracking data for the selected carrier. We are

committed to shipping all units from the first batch of 950s in the order received,

so rest assured that your 950 order will receive the highest priority.

Your patience will very shortly be rewarded with the best home theater value

available: The Outlaw Model 950.

Regards,

The Outlaws

Thanks for the update Outlaws!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
When I first started reading it, I thought it was an April Fool's joke.
I'm glad it isn't.
Dang, when's that manual going to show up on their web site! :)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Now that the Outlaws have released some concrete shipping information let me share with you a thought or two on the manual, or lack thereof.
During the beta test I was able to see an early version of the manual. My initial reaction was that it was far from being ready for prime time and would probably be the last stumbling block for release of the 950. It is my understanding that it has been completely re-written and it's a real rush on Outlaw's part to have it ready in time for shipping.
I suggested to them that if this is the last obstacle to release of the prduct that they do the following:
  • For this first batch, ship them without the manual and provide a URL on an enclosed sheet of paper in the box where the manual can be downloaded when ready. (Hopefully it would be up online before the units actually arrive in homes.)
  • As soon as the manual is professionally printed send one out to the early adopters ASAP.
I'm not speaking for the Outlaws, just making a suggestion. I understand the frustration of those who've waited so long for their 950's and I'm willing to bet that they would accept this option if offered to them. On the other hand, I understand that this would provide additional work for what is obviously an overworked staff up there in New Hampshire so I wouldn't hold it against Outlaw if they respectfully decline my suggestion.
And quite possibly this will be a moot point by April 8th. I, too, am eagerly awaiting the release of the 950 so others can voice their opinions of it. And I'd also like a copy of the final manual online ASAP since, as you recall, the beta test involved no such roadmap.

J

John Morris

Hi Larr:
My goodness, while I had added you to my ignore file, were you still addressing me so frequently? If so, I am sorry, since I never saw your posts... :D If they were so important, please go ahead and repeat them via my email address, and I can address them personally. I am a gun totin' Republican Texan from Pennsylvania and don't feel like I need to explain anything more, without payment. I accept PayPal!

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
It is plausible that the manual is part of the latest delay. If it was already in final form for printing, I would have expected it to be posted on the Outlaw site or made available to the Beta testers as a final proof.

I wonder how long the Q&A checks may take. If the early units are individually tested, the Outlaws may not be able to process more than say 25 to 50 units per day for shipment. My best guess is that there may be 300 to 400 units in the initial 950 shipment. In that case it may require 2 or 3 weeks to complete the shipments for those already notified. Let's assume this is completed by the end of April. By that time the next batch of units may have arrived by fast ship.

I have no inside information and would be interested in the speculation of others on the timing for delivery.

Mike

W

Will

I too have no inside information but would guess the manual is not the main reason for the delay. My guess is there's something that has to be finalized with the software (or less likely, with the hardware) that is causing the delay. But as I said, I have no inside information.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Also keep in mind that if US customs decided to do an inspection, they can hold the items and there is nothing Outlaw could do about it.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Having worked in the cargo business for an international airline, I know from my personal experience that clearing things through customs should not be that major an issue. As long as your paper work is done correctly and if you have a good freight forwarder, you can even clear customs in advance if you apply for urgent shipment status. However, this is all well before 9/11. And if I remember correctly, isn't 950 being produced in Malaysia? And isn't that South East Asia's biggest muslin country? Wonder if that makes a difference to the customs officials. And I wonder if that has anything to do with 950’s delays…

W

Will

My guess is the 950 delays and delays have little to do with clearing them through customs.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Michael:
Yes, Malaysia IS a Muslim country (though the actual population is quite mixed.) However, LOTS and LOTS of American-sold merchandise is made in Malaysia and the Malaysian government has a very good relationship with the US.
My wife is Malaysian and we ship packages back and forth with no delays subsequent to 9/11. While this is on a completely different level, I still suspect that we don't have to worry about any increased Outlaw delays related to clearing customs.
I can't wait to get my Outlaw 950. Then I'll have TWO wonderful Malaysian exports in my home.
:D
PS -- For what it's worth, my wife just informed me that Indonesia is SE Asia's largest Muslim country.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Bob-L:
I can't wait to get my Outlaw 950. Then I'll have TWO wonderful Malaysian exports in my home.
But you'll probably want to ungrade the new one in a year or two. (I trust the first one will stick around a lot longer :) )
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks