Outlaw products - made in the US?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Razvan V, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

I'm interested in getting the new Outlaw preamp in October and would like to know if Outlaw makes its products in the US or Malaysia/Taiwan. Also, do you guys know if the 950 preamp will have a 5-year warranty?
    Thanks,
    Razvan

2. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I have heard that they are made in China or Taiwan. For some reason I thought they were being here but I guess I was wrong.

3. Razvan V

China? Hmmmm...then I'll think twice about buying their preamp. It seems that their quality control isn't that good since there were quite a few problems with the 1050 receiver ( per www.audioreview.com).
    Razvan

4. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Using parts removed from a U.S. Navy reconnaissance aircraft should only improve quality...

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I think the pre-amp and receiver are made in Malaysia and their power amps are made in the U.S.A. by ATI.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

6. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Well, my 1050 was built in Malaysia and my 750 was built in the USA. I had no idea where the 950, 770 and ICBM were to be built so I called Outlaw Audio and asked them. According to Peter:
    • The model 750 and 770 were designed in the USA. The 750 is built in the USA and the 770 will be built in the USA as well.
    • The model 1050 and 950 were designed in the USA. The 1050 is (and the 950 will be) built in a "high tech factory" in Malaysia. Among other things this factory provides boards for many computer manufacturers and builds products for a wide variety of audio-video companies. (I tried to find out which ones, but he wouldn't say. Probably some kind of non-disclosure agreement. [​IMG] )
    • The ICBM was designed in the USA and will be (is being?) manufactured in another "high tech factory" in Taiwan.
    • None of Outlaw Audio's products are built in mainland China.
    Razvan,
    Yes, if you look at some of the older comments on http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/AVReceiver/product_48034.shtml
    Based on my experience with my 1050 and 750, I don't think you should have to worry too much about quality control. Now my 750 was a b-stock unit that had been produced quite some time after the product was introduced. But my 1050 was one of the first five beta test units shipped out to non-employees and the one thing that impressed me the most about it was it's quality. I don't know if they're still available, but you can try to search for my old postings on the Beta 1050 from May and June of 2000. A couple of the threads got pretty long. [​IMG]
    Anyhow, since it seemed the other day as if you were thinking of trying the Outlaw 950, I hope all this makes you feel a bit better about it. [​IMG] And if you've got some concerns that are really bothering you, give them a call directly. They've got a toll free phone number on their web site, so it won't cost you anything but time and I've found them very eager to help and answer questions.
    Later (I've really got to stopping coming into these forums during lunch ... [​IMG] ),
    ------------------
    pat----
    home: [email protected] ... office: [email protected]
    no home page yet, so ...
    Entertainment Center ---==*==--- DVD Collection

7. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

people who make decisions based on cost often try to convince themselves that it's not at the expense of quality...this holds true for both manufacturers and consumers alike...I remember when some japanese mnfgrs went to taiwan and malaisia(?) and everyone screamed "FOWL" now that things are produced less expensively elsewher no one seems to think it makes much of a differance...Polk is now made in Tijuana, do you think that anything has changed in relation to their quality recently?

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean... When I first heard that ALL of my indoor speakers are made in Canada, I thought the worse. Still, they have performed perfectly since I bought them many years ago. All I can figure is that the plant's cafeteria was out of Molson on the day my speakers were built. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

9. Razvan V

But why do the Outlaw products made in Malaysia/Taiwan have a 2-year warranty while the ones made in the US have a 5-year warranty? I also wonder what will happen if I buy the 950 preamp and it breaks after the warranty is over? Do I have to ship it to Outlaw to have it fixed?
    Razvan

10. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

I'm a 1050 owner and have to say I've had nothing but a great experience with Outlaw and their products.
    -EJ
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    my HT site

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

12. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I'm sure you meant that you'll buy them if your happy with their performance? I would hate to think that if you Beta tested them and found them wanting that you'ld be buying them anyway...Isn't beta testing supposed to be about looking for flaws? I'm sure we can safely say ,there won't be any...(sorry if this sounds smart-a$sed)

13. Patrick R. Sklenar

quote: But why do the Outlaw products made in Malaysia/Taiwan have a 2-year warranty while the ones made in the US have a 5-year warranty? ...[/quote]
    Razvan,
    I've got a busy day ahead, so I'm not oging to have time to call Outlaw today. If one of them sees this thread today and contacts me with a more definitive answer, I'll pass it on, but I'm just going to take my best shot for now ...
    I believe that the difference in warrentee is not related to where the products are produced, but rather to the complexity of the products themselves. A Power Amp had only one moving part and, relatively speaking, very few other parts. There's little that can go wrong. On the other hand, while a Receiver or a Pre-Processor usually has only a few more moving parts, they have significantly more, and more complex, parts that make up the whole. In other words, the greater the complexity, the greater the chance of something going wrong.
    In fact, I would expect companies to take out insurance policies to cover warrentee services. If that is the case, then the insurance company's Acctuaries would most likely the ones to calculate the probability of a particular type of product failing and for how long it would be fiscally responsible to consider it "under warrentee". (added after original posting, PRS) Another data point that the acctuaries would consider would be the price of the unit ... it would be fiscally responsable to repair an item that costs $1100 far a longer period of time, than it would be to repair one that costs $450 for a similar length of time. (end of added text, PRS)
    Of course ... not having talked to anyone at Outlaw Audio about this, I could be completely wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. [​IMG]
    quote: ... Isn't beta testing supposed to be about looking for flaws? I'm sure we can safely say ,there won't be any ...[/quote]
    Matthew,
    I don't know about the second half of this statement. I was one of the five external beta testers of the 1050 and I did find some problems which Outlaw did address before shipping the production units. There were some additional problems which the five of us didn't find and which came out after the first production run was shipping. Outlaw quickly figured out how to fix the problems, did so for the next production run and also promptly started fixing the, relatively small, percentage of first-run units whose owners had reported the problems.
    So no, while I hope there aren't any problems, I expect there will be. I just believe, based on personal experience that Outlaw will address the problems with just as much vigor and determination and success as they did with the 1050. And yes, this is - "In My Humble Opinion". [​IMG]
    Later,
    ------------------
    pat----
    no home page yet, so ...
    [Edited last by Patrick R. Sklenar on August 16, 2001 at 07:29 AM]

14. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I don't really worry too much about where a product is made any more, though I will avoid sweatshop-made clothing and such.
    My Yamaha RXV-795 worked flawlessly for 2 years, and Yamaha Recievers have a very good reliability record-Made in Malaysia.
    I bought a Sony 333ES a couple of months ago, it's also working perfectly--Made in Malaysia.
    My Hitachi 53SBX59B rptv is almost 2 years old, has a gorgeous picture, and likewise hasn't given a speck of trouble--made in Mexico.
    The only piece of gear that ever had a problem was a Sony 550 dvd player with a lipsynch problemd--fixed very much to my satisfaction under warranty--Made in Japan.
    I love my Canadian-made Energy speakers.
    I work on Toyotas for a living at a dealership in CA. Camrys are built in Japan and Kentucky, and there is no difference in quality--we get no more warranty complaints on the KY cars than on the Japanese built models. Both contain parts from Mexico, Canada, the US, and Japan.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

16. Razvan V

I still don't understand why Outlaw doesn't have a 5-year warranty on their receiver and on their upcoming preamp, both built "at a state of art factory in Malaysia/Taiwan". To give a shorter - 2-year- warranty on a preamp just because it's more likely to break than an amp - the amp comes with a 5-year warranty - doesn't make any sense to me. Sony, Parasound, Marantz, they all have better warranties on their preamps.
    Razvan

17. Patrick R. Sklenar

Razvan,
    As I said, I haven't spoken with any of the Outlaw's regarding the likely warrenty on the pre/pro. I was trying to explain my understanding of why there's a difference between the warrenty of the 1050 (receiver) and the 750 (power amp). Perhaps you should give Outlaw Audio a call yourself and ask them directly? Then you could come back here and explain it to the rest of us! [​IMG]
    G'night,
    ------------------
    pat----
    no home page yet, so ...

18. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

I'll take a shot at explaining why they might have only a 2 year warranty on a $499 receiver and a 5 year warranty on a $1100 amp.
    1. After two years, the amp will not be obsolete while the receiver will be.
    2. In all likelihood, your receiver will either break in the first few months or not at all anyway so it isn't much of an issue.
    3. Two years from when you buy the receiver, if it does break, you could probably replace the receiver with an equivalent (and maybe even better) unit for less than it would cost to repair.
    So basically my guess is that it is just not really worth while. One poster noted that Sony and others have longer warranty's and that is likley true. Of course an equivalent Sony costs, what, $8-900? Outlaw could probably offer a longer warranty but that would raise the price and I would guess they considered the lower price the better trade-off.
    Heck, buy the Outlaw, invest the extra cash you could have put in the Sony and then you can buy a new toy in 2 years whether the Outlaw breaks or not!
    Tim