Outlaw + Paradigms Too bright?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobP, Aug 26, 2001.

1. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of monitor 7s in which I'm looking for a good quality reciever (at a fair price) to power them. At $499 I've heard good things about the outlaw and the extra bells and whistles available on some other recievers is of little concern to me. My one concern is that Ive heard outlaws have a bright sound and having my paradigms on the bright side I'm afraid of the results. Does anyone have this combo or care to offer me advice?
    Rob

2. John M Miller

John M Miller Stunt Coordinator

I have Paradigm Mini Monitors and even my wildest expectations were met when I added the Outlaw to my arsenal. I do not find them to be overly bright, but I guess I never did find Paradigms to be too bright. But on the plus side, the imaging this combo delivers is absolutely incredible.
    Before I got the Outlaw I had a Denon 1601 (that worked fine at first but broke within a week) and a Pioneer Elite 33TX (another refurbished uBid item that broke soon after I got it). The Oulaw whoops these two hands down, especially the heavily overpriced Elite. For $500 the Outlaw simply cannot be beat.
    ------------------
    Fellini's Le Notti di Cabiria
    [​IMG]

3. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

John, I'm glad to hear this combo is working for you cause I am really liking the Outlaw for $499. I really don't find the paradigms bright all the time but with certain source material they can get harsh at loud volumes. This might be because I'm driving them with a cheap kenwood, thus the upgrade.
    Rob

4. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

R - I've been using a 1050 with Studio 40s for a few months now , and I Love It !!
    It was the smoothest in the high end freqs over Denon3801&Onkyo787 that I tryed
    at the time . Bear in mind that your DVD player or other imput source plays a BIG
    role in this . The 1050 has the Biggest(under rated) 60 watts of any HT reciever out there .
    Hope this helps .
    E

5. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

I own the Outlaw 1050 and I had my bro-in-law's Paradigms (can't rememer the model, middle line though) at my house to compare against the Adire's that I built. The Outlaw/Paradigm sounds great to me. Although we both found the Adire's sound even better. BTW I love my 1050 and think you'd be very happy with it, you really can't beat it for the price.
    -EJ
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    my HT site
    [Edited last by Eric M Jones on August 26, 2001 at 01:45 PM]

6. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Yea, I definitely have to upgrade this receiver. I was just listening to some Grateful Dead and it was just too bright (at loud volumes) I couldn't take it anymore. I hope this is a receiver problem and not a speaker problem. I'd hate to be stuck with that high pitched noise, man I can't take it.
    Rob
    [Edited last by RobP on August 26, 2001 at 03:02 PM]

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I can't see a reason why the outlaw would be considered 'bright'. you could always play with your tone controls or consider the nature of your room and play with speaker placement.

8. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

who/where makes the amps for Outlaw?

9. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I know there made over seas somewhere I forget exactly where though. Check out there website www.outlawaudio.com or do a search here I remeber reading it somewhere here in an old post.
    Rob

10. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

In no particular order the following are far more important to your sound that the receiver.
    1. Room acoustics and speaker placement.
    2. Music source. Some CDs are good, some not. Good speakers will revel the flaws in poorly done CDs. Last weekend I bought a DVD of a Queen concert. The sound was horrible and I threw it in the trash without even listening to the whole thing. Thats gonna happen sometimes.
    3. Speakers.
    Regards, Nick