Outlaw or Sony

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenRabinowitz, Sep 11, 2002.

1. StephenRabinowitz

Have the Sony pre amp TAE-9000ES, on the waiting list for the Outlaw 950. Just got the email & ordered it. Now I have to decide which unit I will keep in my main home theater setup & the other in my 2nd set up. Any advice on which you would use.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

SR- I have a TA-E9000ES too. I am also on the 950 waiting list.

I will punt on the Sony when the 950 gets here, asssuming the 950 sounds as good as everyone says it does. Here's why:

DD EX
    DTS-ES
    5.1 analog input
    80 Hz analog crossover on those inputs
    CES (6.1/7.1) modes for DD/DTS discs

(Or unless I switch gears to the Ref 50 which *also* has THX Ultra2...)

The Sony is a great pre amp. But its design is almost 4 years old...

3. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

stephen and kevin,

i just received my 950 today. it definitely does sound as good as everyone says.

as i've never been a fan of the cd format, i can't comment on the sound of the 950 vs. anything else with cd's. but, the first thing i did was pop in james taylor's "hourglass" multi-channel SACD. it sounds better than everyone says.

during the 6 mos. i waited, i tried adcom pre/pro (ugh), onkyo 898 and marantz sr 9200 pre out. all 3 cost more...none sounded as good. the 950 is warm and detailed and effortless...and certainly worth the price.

my father, though he has a different set up than mine, has the 9kes. i'll just say it's my opinion you'll like the 950 better.

4. StephenRabinowitz

I had the B&K Ref 20 & replaced it with the Sony TAE-9000ES. The Sony had much more detail then the B&K. Not knocking the B&K but for what it costs it is not giving its money worth.

5. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

I have never heard the 20, but I have heard the Sony and compared it to the Ref 30. I have to say that the 30 pleased me more...so much so that I bought the 30 instead despite the more than double cost (I may be exagerrating a bit...I don't really remember how much the Sony is)

I also bought the 30 because it promised upgrades when new formats came out...although less important, that was also a factor. I don't seem to remember the Sony offering that.

Of course none of this means a hill of beans if we are not comapring apples to apples.

The comparison was made in my HT, with a Sony DVP-S300 as a source, An Outlaw 750 amp, and DefTech BP2002 mains/CLR2000 center/BPX rear.

From what I understand the 30 was a different animal from the 20 as well.

6. StephenRabinowitz

The upgradeability on the B&K line sounds great on paper. I called to ask about the upgrade on my Ref 20. Was $900 but no THX. For $1995 I could get a brand new Ref 30. I had a B&K AV500011 amp that continously blew out speakers in 1 channel, they replaced the amp board when it toasted. It then blew out another speaker & that was it for the amp as they found no problem with it this time. For the money there are better products around then B&K, I believe they are overpriced for what they give.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I went from a TA-E9000ES to a Rotel 1066 and one thing you're going to miss is the flexibility of the Sony when setting up your new processor...the Sony was amazing in that respect. What you will find though is that it will sound very different. I can't comment on the Outlaw per sa but I much prefer the Rotels sound so if the reviews are correct you'll likely really enjoy the Outlaw.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

B&K Ref 50: DD/DTS/DD EX/DTS-ES/DPL II, *and* THX Ultra2, all for the low, low price of about $2300 street.

The Ref 30 is one of the highest rated pre/pro's on audioreview.com. So *somebody* was happy enough with what they got for the price that they paid...

Oh, forgot 2 more things from my list:

- DPL II
    - 2 channel stereo analog bypass (although the bass management for this, like on the 1066, doesn't work quite right)