Outlaw or older Parasound?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisHeflen, Dec 23, 2003.

1. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Ok my friend wants to upgrade from his Elite vsx36 tx receiver and he is considering The 950 and their 200 watt bruiser amp.
    But then he could get a great deal on a Parasound 2205AT and the AVC2500u with the bass management upgrade.

Advice?

2. JohnWA

JohnWA Auditioning

I used the Parasound 2500 with their 1205 amp (140 watts) for about 3 yrs. Switched to the Atlantic Technologies P2000 processor and their A2000 7 channel amp. The P2000 is a clone of the Outlaw. Same processor, different shell.

Everything sounds better with the P2000, much more open, more definition. 5.1 DD especially. Also, the Outlaw gives you more options, namely 7.1, Cirrus Extra Surround, Pro Logic II.

I can't compare amps for you. I know the Parasound 2205 has a good reputation.

If it were me, I'd go with the Outlaw.

Regards,
    John

3. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

How about the outlaw preamp with the parasound amp? Or are these things only available bundled?

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Not at all yo can buy 'em separate.Personally I found much less difference in sound amomg amps,then pre-amps.I would go with the Outlaw.

5. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

I have the Outlaw 950 and Parasound power. Fantastic!

6. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

Bill,
    Any problems with popping or signals dropping out in your combination? Which Parasound amp do you have?

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Another vote for the Outlaw pre/pro matched with the Parasound amp.

8. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

DanaA,
    Are you using this combination? What Parasound AMP? 2205?

9. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

No popping noises. Honestly, I can't say I've ever heard of popping noises between the 950 and any amps. Outlaw makes very good products. Parasound does also. As I am not a independently wealthy, I have bought good mid fi products and lived with them until they were incapable of doing the job. When I bought the Outlaw/Parasound combo, I also upgraded my speakers and sub. I took the plunge into DVD and 5.1. Before all of this I was perfectly happy with my mid 80's NAD system (killer at the time). It still plays, just not as my main system. My Outlaw/Parasound/Axiom/SVS system will be my main system for many years. I get giddy watching movies now!

So I guess I recommend the Parasound with the 950.

10. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

Bill
    Sounds like your purchases are much like mine. Mid-Range products serve me well. First attempt at sperates and I have been told that there is no comparison. Are you running the 1205 or 2205 amp?

11. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Tim,

I'm using the Parasound 1205A amp paired with the Integra 9.4 pre-pro. Prior to this, I used a Rotel 1066 as my pre-pro. My reasoning is that Parasounds make great amps. If purchased new, they come with a 10 year warranty. I've heard the Parasound pre-pro in direct comparison with the Rotel (when I was making that purchase) and much preferred the Rotel. I've never heard the Outlaw, but have read a ton of comparisons with the Rotel and the comparisons have generally been favorable. Thus, based on what I've read and my comparisons between the Parasound pre-pro and the Rotel, I'd give the nod to the Outlaw.

By the way, I think the 1205A has been tested at 157 watts per channel with all five channels being driven simultaneously (it's rated at 140), so it's conservative as far as ratings. I know it has plenty of juice for my speakers, which only have sensitivities in the range of 86-87 decibels. So, I'd imagine the big brother would have all the ability to drive most any speaker well.

12. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

DanaA,
    This may be a stupid question but here goes......Did your amp come with a manual or warrantee card? I am buying this from an authorized dealer but did not see any of this in the box.

13. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

That's not a stupid question at all. You don't want to risk being out of warranty if you buy.

I'm pretty sure it came with a warranty card, but this was a year and a half ago, so I can't remember for sure.

Definitely, a manual was included. This, I still have.

I'd contact Parasound and make sure the dealer is authorized. If you're buying a floor model or something, I'm pretty sure they'd still honor the warranty, but you might want to point out the situation on the manual and warranty card.

If you do end up getting a Parasound amp, I'm getting excited for you. [​IMG]

14. Taya

Taya Extra

I am running the Sony TA-E9000 and TA-P9000ES pre through the Prasound 2205AT and I love the combinaiton. I think the Parasound is a great Amp. Not sure for the rating though, I had the ATI1505 and it seems to me as pretty similar to the Prasound, power wise, the Para is far more warm amp the overall compliment better the set up. You are getting a fine product. The only drow back on the Prasound that I can think off is the speakers connections on the back are poorley design (too close) and it is pretty difficult to hook up the cables given you have mid/higher end ones... Happy Listening

15. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

I continued having problems with the Pioneer so over the holiday I went and picked up a parasound 2500u. Still problems with white niose and I cannot turn the gains all the way up to THX level without the right front speaker cutting out! HELP!

16. Taya

Taya Extra

Might be a pretty damm comment of mine, but have you checked the balanced on the gain control on the back of the para amp? It might be that even all are turned all the way clockwire, might not be aligned somehow? Try to go as low as possible see if you have difference in output between the channels, also, maybe you can switch and use other channel to feed the front cutting speasker, see if the problem in the amp or might be the speaker...

17. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

Took the amp to Inner Sound this morning Authorized Service Dealer). Input 2 is bad! I cant believe that it has gone bad. No question about it.