Outlaw opinion needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Teddlie, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

Now that we know more about the 950 I was hoping I could get others opinions on my situation. I bought a Pioneer VSX-49TX last month and it works really well. I am on the Outlaw list since the first day and am expecting to be included in the first shipment.

I'm was thinking about putting the Pioneer up for sale due to the fact that down the road seperates will be really easy to upgrade rather than having to upgrade my whole receiver... The pioneer has a few great options I believe the Outlaw does not, like composite,svideo conversion to component output, ability to convert 5.1 to 7.1 sound, and the auto speaker calibration. On the downside people have been reporting clipping and audio dropouts.

So... What do you guys think? I can sell the receiver for the same amount as the 950/755. Thanks for your time!

2. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

It is really difficult to be objective in a situation like this. If you were to ask which to buy it is easier to suggest something than to advise you to sell what you have and get something else. Having said that, you 49TX is an excellent piece and it probably does everything that the 950 will do and some. If you are happy with it (forgetting what others claim) why not live with it for a couple of years and then buy an ultimate pre-pro with all digital connections etc.? In the mean time get a two or three channel amps for the front and that will take the load off of the receiver. You could use that down the road with the separates. No one to my knowledge has done a comparison of 49TX to outlaw 950. But, 49Tx has been compared to denon 5800, onkyo 989 and BK 307 etc by various people. Ignoring the fine print, 49TX was in the same level as the others with additional features. Of course, you will have to make the final decision.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

4. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, I agree with you so far. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to own both at this time to do a side by side comparison (maybe a sponsor?? [​IMG] ) The thing I like about going the sperates route is the fact that amp will not be outdated and I only would need to upgreade the pre/pro when newer technology comes out next week[​IMG]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If it were me I'd cancel the Outlaw order post haste and enjoy the Pioneer receiver for the forseeable future.

6. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

Jon, you are going to lose quite a bit of money selling your new 49TX. If you are prepared for that, I'd keep the 49TX and put the money into a separate amp. 3 channel one for the fronts will be enough, let the 49TX drive just the rears. The pre/pro in 49TX is not worse (if not better) than that of the Outlaw, and Outlaw cannot even come close to Pioneer's feature set.

7. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Jon,

Do you already have an amp. If you choose to sell the Pioneer and buy the Outlaw will you still have to buy amps? If that's the case I'd buy amplifiers for your front soundstage. This way when the time comes to replace teh Pioneer you will be able to buy a Pre/Pro w/o haveing to buy new Amps to go with it.

Also keep in mind that better pre/pro's are surely to show up in the next year or two. I'm trying to apply my computer upgrading methodology to my Home Theater, leap frog technology to save money.

That's my $.02

Brian

8. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

If your not going to lose your a**, I'd say dump the pioneer.

IMHO, in a year it's gonna be outdated and your gonna want the new wham bam circuitry, which means another upgrade.

The Outlaw will probably sound at least as good as the pioneer and is cheap enough to replace with ease in 12-18 months without feeling like you are wasting money.

I also beleive that external amps will almost always sound better than those in a receiver.

9. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

I will put in my vote to keep the 49TX. I too was considering the Outlaw before I got the 49TX. I love the pioneer. It's features are simple amazing and it sounds wonderful. I do not see the need to upgrade the pioneer for many years. Ultimately it's your choice but I don't think you can go wrong keeping the pioneer.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I would say go for the Outlaw. Much cheaper than the Pioneer. I don't know enough about the DACs, ADCs, DSP chips that Pioneer uses, but I would be very surprised if they are better than what's in the Outlaw. And, you don't have any potential interference from the onboard amps in the Pioneer to contend with in the Outlaw.
    But you have to judge if the $$$ part is worth it. [​IMG]

11. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

With my own personal bias readily admitted up front, I also recommend the 49TX over the Outlaw 950, even if you wind up with external amps for all channels and use the 49TX only as a pre/pro (though that is hardly necessary). Depending on your speakers, you may want to consider adding more powerful amps for the front channels, but for the vast majority of speakers that someone looking in this price range would be using, even that would be considered excessive for most systems.

Although I have no doubts about the basic sonic quality of the Outlaw 950, people whose opinions I trust tell me it sounds great, frankly, I don't feel the Outlaw is in the same class as the Pioneer 49TX, even considering they are really different products. I've read the specs on the 950 and I consider it a great product for it price, maybe one of the best deals in audio right now. But that doesn't make it comparable to the likes of the 49TX or the Denon 5803.

12. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Jon,
    I think you should wait, and enjoy the Pioneer. THX Ultra 2 processing sends stereo signals to the rear centers right? Might even be better than Cirrus Logic. Wait until the Outlaw actually ships, and is well reviewed by others (perhaps even other 49tx owners).
    At the very least, you can still get the Outlaw, hook it up to your Pioneer's 7.1 inputs and A/B to compare. If you return your unit within 30 days, you'd only be out ~ $25 for shipping...a small price to know for sure with your own ears in your system on which way you want to go with your $2500+. And since you have a first shipment unit, if you decide to keep the Pioneer, I'm sure someone far down or not even on the waiting will glad buy your Outlaw for full price...maybe even pickup your initial shipping cost [​IMG]

13. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Jon,
    Obiwan (Robert George) is someone you should listen to. You already have the Pioneer and, if Obi says it's great, I would believe him - sight unseen (or, I should say, "unheard.") He has caused me to spend more than my share of discretionary income on great products over the past decade or so and I've never been disappointed with a recommendation of his.
    Your position is a bit different than most. You aren't trying to make up your mind about two different products you are about to purchase. You already own the 49TX. And, unless you happen to be very lucky, generally whenever you move from one product to another there is a bit of capital lost in the shuffle. The 49TX already has some features, from what I'm seeing here, that the 950 doesn't have. Better than getting a 950 in the near future (unless you want to do an A/B comparison as suggested here out of curiosity) I would highly recommend enjoying what you have. Even though the 950 is still on the brink of being released it is very, very likely that Outlaw will offer a next generation pre/pro within a few years. Or, of course, you can expand your pre/pro horizon to include the inevitable products from other manufacturers (new and used) as well. At that time it might be more prudent to make your next move.
    And, as an interim move at some point you could start thinking about separate amps, maybe in stages as I did. Obi has lived with his 49TX for a while now and if he says it has more than adequate amplification, then I trust his judgment.
    If some of my advice sounds contradictory, it's really not. I actually started out with a fine receiver for its day - the Denon 5700 - and, in my estimation it is still a great product (although no longer the flagship.) The one thing I have advocated all along is that when and if you get the urge to upgrade (and that's the nature of this beast, right?) I suggest the route that takes you from a receiver to separates, even in stages, rather than from flagship receiver to flagship receiver.
    That's what I've been saying all along, and the path that I have chosen. You have a great piece of equipment there. Sit back and listen to the music. Once I finish installing my new amps I'm going to actually do this myself for a bit.
    [​IMG]