Outlaw model 1050, really as good as they say?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by shaun_p, Nov 27, 2001.

1. shaun_p

shaun_p Extra

Having read some reviews on audioreview.com is the outlaw model 1050 really as good as they say?

With only dd, dts, prologic decording it must make up for it in the sound stakes. How does it compare to the rather well spec'd Denon 2802?

Anyone got any experience of the Rotel RSX-972?

2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind the 1050 is not nearly as new as all the DPLII receivers.

I only own the Denon avr-681 (functionally equivalent to the 1601) so I can not comment if it stacks up against the 1050.

I do know I am very happy with my setup.

I think the 1050 may be built better, but someone else will have to chime in on that.

Jon

3. Bill Turetsky

The Outlaw is BETTER than what is writeen about it.

It sounds great with music material - and that means it ALSO sounds great with sound tracks. Too often, one gets 'fooled' by the bouncing around of bullets, etc. and is distracted for listening for REAL sound reproduction as to regards tonality, crispness, clarity, etc. When you get the MUSIC RIGHT - you get the film stuff right - Outlaw does that.

And goodness knows there are more than sufficient formats! It's got a fine 6th channel!

4. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Though initially disappointed (you may have seen my first review on audioreview.com - the 1050 was my first in-home audition), I now recommend the 1050 without hesitation for those in the sub-$900 MSRP range. I had to spend more than that to find a better sounding (to me) receiver. The sixth channel is really just the icing on the cake.

I think that the 1050 really is better built than the 2802. If you look inside, I think you will see a bigger transformer and capacitors.

As for formats, I sorta gave up on keeping current. I figure my current receiver will do until we start seeing standardized 7-channel formats. Otherwise, 5 channel is more than enough for my moderately sized HT.

Hope this helps. My opinion of course.

5. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

My 1050 is a GEM - It's the warmest / most musical reciever I've used ,

and I passed through the Denons & Onkyos (3801/787) before the 1050 .

ProLogic2 is NOT MISSED here . I'm still in awe at the price and underated

power . I think the simple look and lack of a zillion buttons fools many .

Until I decide to go with BIG power and seperates (probably the new Outlaw

stuff) it stays right where it is .

Eric

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I wouldn't describe the Outlaw as warm at all. To me, clean is a more apt description. It is one powerful and heavy receiver. The only thing it lacks, IMO, is DPL II. If you don't care about that, then get it without hesitation. It was a toss up to me between the 1050 and the Denon AVR-1802. I decided I liked the variable crossover, remote, and cleaner faceplate of the Outlaw rather than the DPL II of the Denon. Enjoy!