What's new

Outlaw M200 pro/cons or other suggestions (1 Viewer)

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike
I have a similar PSB speaker setup being driven by a Yamaha RX-V3200 which puts out 130WRMS with all six channels driven. Since the PSB Image speakers are so efficient (greater than 90db)I can blow myself out of my fairly large living room with the Yamaha set at 25db down from the 0db reference level. I am planning on waiting on the Outlaw 7100 amp which should be out within the first quarter of this year. It is rated at 100WRMS into 8 ohms and should be able to drive the Image speakers to a deafening level without any noticeable distortion.
Regards,
TCIII

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

Yes, I went down to the dealer yesterday. NHT shows them in stock and I should have them w/in 10 days. Only ordered 2 b/c I found my existing rack will not hold all the amps. Had to order a new rack from another dealer. Also am having an electrician come in around end of the month and drop in 2 dedicated 20amp lines for the system. Same weekend am adding all new cabinets throughout the garage (keeps the wife happy, you know.)

System will go down 3/1-3/2 (wife out of town that weekend.)
Will post results/impressions right afterwards.

Thanks,
Michael

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased 3 M200's and they should be here tomorrow. I have an Onkyo TXSR-800. I am going to use the mono blocks for the front channels and the center. I will power the side and rear surrounds with the Onkyo's amps. Eventually, I will either buy more mono blocks or a 5 channel amp, when I can pay cash. I have Polk RTi 100's for the fronts, a CSi 40 for the center, FXi30's for the sides, and RTi 38's for the rears. I also have an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub. I'm getting much further into HT than I intended. Its addicting. Eventually I intend to buy a dedicated pre/pro and sell the Onkyo. I have been very happy with my Onkyo so far. I have experience no clicks or dropouts. I'll post again once I get the new amps set up. I'm excited.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck,

Almost a ditto of my plan. I have PSBs all around. Will add the first 2 monoblocks and then probably one a month til I hit seven. BTW...I have the same sub! After the monoblocks are in, I'll replace my Denon 3802 w/ a pre/pro. Looking forward to your impressions.

Michael

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Main benefit is reduction/elimination of interference from other sources. Also gives about a 3db increase in output (I think).

Michael

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

There is a delay in my shipment. They mis-typed my street address and DHL hasn't delivered yet. I paid for the next day air, quite expensive ($170) and its been two days since I ordered. I did contact both DHL and Outlaw. Outlaw was gracious and will be crediting my card with the difference between ground and air shipping. I should have my 3 M200's sometime tomorrow morning. I will hook them up and post my initial impressions sometime tomorrow. I'm pumped.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Finally got my M200's yesterday afternoon. They arrived with slightly banged up cartons, however, the amps were in good shape. I did not notice any non-level legs. The amps all stacked without any rocking. Perfectly level. The amps were easy to set up, they come on when they receive a signal. I am impressed with the sound difference. I had to adjust my reference level for both fronts and my center after hooking up the anthems. The mid range is clearer than with the Onkyo TXSR-800 internal amps. I sense more depth and clarity. More power with the Polk speakers is an improvement. I think the most improvement was with two channel stereo or pure audio. I'm happy. I haven't noticed any hiss. With the exception of the shipping problems, I'm very happy.

StevenW

Second Unit
Can you actually stack these amps on top of each other? I thought that was a big no no with regards to amps? How does air on the bottom amp get through?

MarcVH

Second Unit
Outlaw says that stacking 2 is fine, 3 is marginal. I have a stack of 3, but I have some extra spacers between them to allow more airflow. The feet hold the bottom amp about 1/4" off the shelf so the bottom vents can get air, as long as you don't put it on a carpeted surface or anything like that.

John.Meer

Agent
I have had two stacked for several weeks, They are on a plywood sheet with nothing above them. They seem to idle stone cold, and even when working they do not seem to give off much heat. Outlaw's recommendation seems conservative.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
I watched The Phantom Menace last night at reference level. The M200's, which I have stacked 3 high, put off very little heat. I do think that Outlaw's recommendations are conservative. I am impressed with them. They have certainly added detail to my Polk RTi 100's and my CSi40.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck,

Glad to see you got the amps. Could you hear anything when the amps went from class a/b to G? How was the sound from low level to high...any difference?

Am wondering if the stacking issue is more weight/load bearing than heat dissipation. Maybe the cases aren't designed to hold 80-100pds (5 amps) on top of each other.

Thanks,
Michael

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

I didn't notice any difference from low to high loads on these amps. These things run just barely warm. I have them stacked 3 high and don't see a problem with it. I am very happy with these amps. The real difference in sound is with two channel stereo. I can tell a marked difference. Just popped in a Norah Jones CD. The highs and mid tones are crisp and clear. I am hooked on separates.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chuck:

How did you run the individual power cords from the amps? Are you using a power strip set up? The only problem that I have with separate amps is the number of power cords you have to run instead of using just one cord for all the amps.

Parker

StevenW

Second Unit
Yeah thats something I'm wondering also Parker. Would there be too much juice running two of these monoblocks and a receiver on a decent power strip if thats the only option you have?

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

I am running my 3 mono blocks into a power strip. In fact, my whole HT runs on one 15 amp circuit. I haven't had any problems with breakers tripping or voltage swings/dips. My system includes a 65 inch Panasonic HDTV, Onkyo TXSR800 receiver, 3 outlaw M200 monoblocks, Panasonic DVD, Polk RTi speakers, and an SVS 20-39PC+ sub with a 550 watt amp. I play my HT at slightly under reference level, however, have been known to play it at slightly over reference to wow and amaze friends. I know that most recommend a dedicated 20 amp circuit, however, my 15 amp circuit is just fine so far. Like I said before, the mono blocks made a difference, especially in two channel stereo. Very noticeable.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Besides Outlaw Audio, are there other companies that make hi-quality amps with alot of power, that don't have XLR balanced inputs?

I have no need for the balanced connections, and don't want to pay extra for something I will never use. At the same time, I want a great amp for realistic cash money. The Outlaw is a very good option, with the right specs, and at the right price, but excuse me for saying this, it's god damn ugly! I wish Outlaws would make a sexy version of its amps for just a little more money, and then I would sign on.

I am looking for the price of the Outlaw at the with Parasound sexiness, any thoughts? I've checked out anthem, but if I'm stepping up to seperates I want a little more than 105 X 5.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Charles,

FWIW:
Outlaw 755 amp: $1299
Outlaw M200 (x5): $1399
Parasound HCA-2205 (used on Audiogon): $1300-1500
All amps 200w/pc or more.

Best regards,
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks