What's new

Outlaw LFM-1 Mini-review (1 Viewer)

BenCosta

Agent
I promised a review of the LFM-1 in an earlier thread. Since I can’t find the original thread, I’ve started a new one here.

Thoughts: Wow, what can I say…..I’m impressed. First some background, I have a Rel Storm in my HT system due to my heavy preference towards music. I truly despise bloated, uncontrolled bass and I’m willing to pay good money to avoid it. However, my parents having somewhat less refined taste (and a somewhat more responsible wallet) were more concerned with a good deal, so we ordered the LFM-1 for their system.

Shame on me for having spent so much money on a sub. I am amazed at how musical this sub is. Great delineation, and gobs of power. Never once did I think we were listening to a $600 sub! It handled Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana as well as it handled Metallica’s One as well as it handled Shara K’s BrickHouse…it handled everything we threw at it. Of course, my folk’s grinned when we dropped in Jurassic Park and they could “feel” the bass moving their pants!

I can without hesitation recommend this sub to anyone looking to spend less than a grand on a sub…

BTW, I also ordered them their 10M sub cable. What a sweet cable. It’s directional with locking connectors and a cool white braid. I’m ordering some of their cables for my system now too.

I plan on going back to my folks the weekend after next and plan to bring some more material to check it out with…

Peace-

Ben

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Hey at least you willing to "learn".I've been very critical on Rel subs,and mostly because of their outragous price/performance ratio.The LFM is a HSU design,and Dr. HSU has been showing us for over a decade now why a good sub don't have to cost a bundle,and perform very good in any system.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Lewis,

You are in the inland empire....not too far from Hsu's offices. Have you ever visited them?

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to know, how this sub compares to a similar SVS or HSU. I am in the market for a good quality sub for my money. My interests would be 60/40 music/movies.

My 7.0 set-up: Polk Audio RTi150 front towers, CSi40 center and 4 Fxi50's. Outlaw 770/950 amp/preamp.

BenCosta

Agent
Clint,

I am very impressed with the LFM-1's performance. Most of the subs I've heard in the $500 or $600 range either have no output or no delineation. This sub has both. I'm really looking forward to going back to my folks house to listen some more. If you're looking for a sub you should definitely check it out. I listen 70/30 music/movies so that's the part I was really focused on when I listened to it too...

Peace-

Ben

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator

This sub uses all the internal parts as the Hsu STF-3 and is made by the same factory in China. There are differences in the finish (top clear on LFM) and the ports (LFM down-firing vs. STF rear firing) but that's it.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Ben, thank you, I guess I'm not the only one who believes the Rel is overpriced if one only considers performance (but I like the way most Rels look) that can be found either diy or online vendors (of course when compared to most brands subs they're a bargain).

I think Rel is an excellent choice for two channel audio due to the fact they have a pretty good cross-over built-in (why oh why do mfgs want to put the bottom cutoff at 50 hz or higher?) and seem to integrate into most systems seemlessly.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
I hear ya on that one, some of us dont want to crossover our mains and then have the sub takeover, i want it to seamlessly match the natural crossover of my speakers, which REL seems to do, and be successful at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.