What's new

Outlaw Josey Wales sure was dark (1 Viewer)

Louis C

Supporting Actor
...I don't mean the content of the film, I mean the transfer. Many scenes I could not even see the faces of the characters.

I was surprised because reviews I have read about this DVD was that it was a fine transfer.

Am I alone in this assessment??

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which dvd release are you talking about, the 1999 or 2001 release? Also, what equipment are you using? The 2001 dvd release has an excellent transfer in my opinion based on viewing it with my Panasonic RP-91 and ISF calibrated Pro-710.

Crawdaddy

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I also have the 2001 Anamorphic DVD with the remastered 5.1 Dolby Digital Sound and it looks superb on my 86cm Widescreen Panasonic HDTV.
No problems whatsoever.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
It's the 2001 version. I have a Panny 53" RP and JVC progressive scan player.

I may need to have my set professionally cal'd cause I ran Avia about a week ago and probably ran through the test sceens too fast. Thing is, I haven't noticed as bad a darkeness problem with newer films.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have the 1999 release and that transfer is fine (just a few dirt specs occasionally). I have an ISF-calibrated Toshiba 56H80 and Panasonic RP-91 player.

Did the 2001 release get a new transfer to remove these occasional blemishes?

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
I believe both the releases have the same transfer, and the 2001 release just has extras, but I could be mistaken.

I think that was the reason I didn't upgrade, since I was happy with the original release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks