Outlaw IR-1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertCharlotte, Feb 28, 2002.

1. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

So, based on what I'm reading here lately, I guess I shouldn't hold my breath on the IR-1000, huh?
    Can anybody recommend a similar product?

2. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Audiotron. It looks more flexible because you can stream internet radio and mp3's from a computer on your network.

3. RobertCharlotte

Thanks, Jim. That looks like more firepower than I need for the hunt I'm on, but I'll keep it in mind.

I find myself completely immune to the charms of MP3, so I really only need something that will connect to my broadband line and pull in radio stations broadcasting on the net. That single-purposeness was what really attracted me to the Outlaw product to begin with.

4. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator

No problem Robert. This unit was actually discussed on the Outlaw site forums, so I cannot really take credit for it. I too am not really a fan of MP3 but have been looking at the unit as a way to distribute background music and as a way to distribute uncompressed music that I am archiving from my vinyl collection. As far as the Outlaw unit, according to their most recent newsletter, the IR-1000 has now been moved to the front burner. So it may still be a viable product for you depending on your time table. I am still checking things out, so if I find any other comparable units I will post info here.

5. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

Another option would be something like the US Robotics Sound link. http://www.usrobotics.com/products/d...sp?sku=USR6003
    I've got one running at my PC and it work's pretty sweet. Any source playing on my PC is broadcast via radio signal and can be picked up on any radio within like 1000 feet. Sound quality is pretty impressive too for $100 product. You can get them cheaper by searching around on-line.

6. RobertCharlotte

That's not a bad idea, Brian, and in fact I had seen something similar at Radio Shack. I think the idea of lying kicked back on the sofa and scanning around radio stations is part of what I'm after, though.

7. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

I have heard seveal people talking about these products and others but, and excuse the ignorance, how do you get a radio station over the net? Are there channels or do you just log into a website? How do you find out what stations are offered? Thanks!

8. myke

myke Extra

In case it wasn't mentioned anywhere, the Turtle Beach Audiotron unit can stream .WAV data from a PC in addition to MP3. Most of the downloaded MP3s I've encountered have been of poor quality, but I haven't yet met anybody who could distinguish a lame-encoded MP3 at about 260kbps (VBR) from the original CD.

9. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

10. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

SOrry for my ignorance also, but are either of these products using XM radio, or are they just streaming radio? Not like I know the difference, but the whole XM radio thing sounded cool.

I had at first thought the Outlaw unit was really neat, and I couldn't wait to play with one, but now with the link of the Turtle Beach unit, it seems like it does streaming radio, as well as MP3 streaming from your computer.

Since they are both $299, the Audiotron seems like the better buy to me.

Am I wrong here?

Aaron