Outlaw ICBM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EarleD, Mar 10, 2002.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I'm thinking of getting one of the ICBM's but have a couple of questions.

I will be using it between my 3802 and external amps.

Upon setup set all speakers to large on the 3802?

When you set the crossover to 60hz on the ICBM all info lower than the selected frquency(60hz) is directed to the subout on the ICBM?

The LFE trim on the ICBM works like the lfe trim on your reciever. It just lowers the LFE track not the general bass level?

thanks

Earle

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Earle: I'm running my ICBM exactly the same as your thinking about doing. A Denon 3802 into the ICBM and then on to a multi-channel amp.

3. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

Pardon me for jumping into this thread, but I have a question for any ICBM experts listening in.

I see from the picture in the Feb. SGHT that the ICBM has two sub outs, labeled "Left" and "Right". Do they get the same mono-blended signal, or does the ICBM actually route only the left side bass + LFE to the left, and vice versa?

I would actually prefer "Front" and "Back" bass signals. I have 5 NHT SuperOnes, so all my satellites are the same and would use the same crossover point. If it works like I suggest above, it seems to me that I could connect the two front channels to the left front and left rear inputs, and the two rear channels to the right inputs and get what I want. Does anyone see a problem with that?

Thanks for any advice.

Peter

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

if i'm not mistaken, i believe the left and right sub output carry the same signal...it's just there for those who are running dual subs.

kevin t

5. brian a

brian a Second Unit

That's kind of interesting in that the 950 has separate outputs for the two rear channels and a single output for the sub. The ICBM takes the opposite approach here and gives a single rear input and dual sub inputs. I'm somewhat surprised that they wouldn't design the outputs on the 950 and the inputs on the ICBM to match.

Are they not designed to be used together because of the base management feature on the 950? Or did they just decide to not have the inputs line up?

6. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Chuck,

Thanks for the info. Now I just have to convince the wife that this is an important upgrade, one that needs to be done soon. Wish me luck.

Thanks everyone

Earle

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

All,
    The left/right subwoofer option can be used for stereo subwoofers. With standard setting (Mono), the same signal is present on both subwoofer outputs.
    In stereo setting the routing is:
    Left Front + Surround, 1/2 CC, 1/2 LFE to left subwoofer.
    Right Frount + Surround, 1/2 CC, 1/2 LFE to right subwoofer.
    The LFE level strictly affects the LFE level input into the ICBM. The subwoofer level affects the merged crossover + LFE output from the ICBM.
    All of this was covered by my review of the ICBM for Secrets, which (by the way) was to press months before SGHT.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...t-11-2001.html
    Regards,

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Great plug, John. [​IMG]
    The ICBM manual is online at their site. It is good reading and can answer most your questions. Their sales and tech support is very good in my experience also.

9. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Didnt mean to butt in, I would like to ask a question though.

I was thinking of getting this unit just for my main speakers. I want to use two svs subs in conjunction with my mains {nht 2.9} for stereo subs. I will be using the bass enhance feature on the lex. I will place one svs sub behind each main speaker and use the ICBM to set crossover at 60 hz.

The pre would be set to no sub and fronts to large. Would this be the unit to get for the money or maybe something else ? since I would only be using it for L/R speakers.

exactly how would the ICBM be set for the above configuration ? would I route the bass below 60 hz l/r out from the icbm l/r sub outputs ? and the mains of course to the l/r outputs. Or would the icbm be configured differently...thanks

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

John,

The ICBM would work beautifully for your set-up.