What's new

Outlaw ICBM Connection (1 Viewer)

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
I am awaiting my ICBM and cables this week. :D
In the meantime I was pondering how to hook it up into my system. I downloaded the manual from Outlaw and seems pretty straightforward. I have a Panasonic RP-91 and a Denon 2802 (no external amps:frowning: ). I will be relying on the ICBM to do Bass Management for DVD-A and possibly DVD-Video. SInce I have both the 5.1 analog and the digital outputs hooked up, I can switch between DD/DTS decoders (in the RP91 and the 2802) and see which sounds better.
Anyway, then it dawned on me: my CD player and VCR are hooked up via analog stereo to the 2802 receiver. Is the 2802 doing bass-management on these inputs? Or is it just the 5.1 inputs that are by-passed? As I understand it, most receivers can do bass-management on digital inputs only. Am I goiong to have to get another ICBM? Can I use Y-cables to combine multiple inputs to the ICBM? Man, it seems the more equipment I buy, the more I have to keep on buying! My wife is gonna kill me!
Help me.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
As I understand it, most receivers can do bass-management on digital inputs only. Am I goiong to have to get another ICBM?
Al,
most receivers do BM on all inputs (analog and digital) other than the multi-channel (5.1/6.1) inputs. In the case of your CD and VCR, your receiver will sample the analog inputs at 24/96 or so, apply the BM, and then reconstruct analog signals for the FL, FR, and sub. No need for another ICBM :)

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Matt:

That's what I thought, but I just had to verify.

BTW, let me know how things work out with that AVR-1400.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Al,

The 2802 is a 5.1 channel receiver correct? No EX/ES stuff? I think you'll like the ICBM. If you want to you can use the DD and DTS decoders in your DVD player for all 5.1 decoding, set all speakers to large, and let the ICBM do all your bass management. That allows you to set different crossover points for your different speakers. This can really help with the sound, particulatly raising the crossover on the center channel speaker which often has problems with midbass since it's sitting on a TV.

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Philip:

Actually, it is a 6.1 receiver with EX and a few oter modes. But I will not be utilizing them (not yet anyway).

Yes, I thought I might do A/B comparisons of the decoders out of the RP91 5.1 outputs-->ICBM vs. the RP91 bass management. I'm sure the ICBM will do a better job. As for DVD-A, I won't have the choice....but that's why I got the ICBM anyway! Using it for DVD-video will be a bonus.

I'm just wondering how many other ways I can wire this thing to be able to use the crossovers for my CD player or any other sources. It looks like these possibilities may be limited unless I use the Denon as a pre/pro and get an external amp(s).

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks