What's new

Outlaw ICBM and Sony SACD players ? (1 Viewer)

Joe Cole

Second Unit
I am concidering buying an ICBM for my Sony XA777es SACD player. And my question is:

Do the folks that are using this product notice any degradation in sound quality after passing the analog signal through the ICBM?

Also has anyone heard if Outlaw is going to put out a version with 2 separate stereo inputs/outputs in the future?

Thank you,

Doug_B

Screenwriter
No degradation to my ears. I use the ICBM between my preamp and amp, and with both CD players (one of which is Sony 'C555ES) as the source with either redbook or SACD (and with preamp in bypass mode, of course), no degradation is heard.

Doug

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I don't have the same player but I do have the ICBM performing bass management for my Pioneer Elite DV-45A SACD/DVD-A player. All I can say is if you need bass managemment don't hesitate to get this unit. I noticed absolutely no degredation using the unit.
I ordered mine as a a b-stock from Outlaw for $199 here.
Also I noticed like 2 days after I ordered mine that a member was selling one for only $175 shipped! I'd see if it's still available.
Checking different forums, etc. I have seen no word of a newer ICBM coming out. Though anything is possible.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Thank you Doug and Jantzen for your replies.

do you use the ICBM between the player and the pre amp or between the pre amp and amps?

I have a Krell 7.1 and am not sure I want to over ride its cross over points for digital sources. But when I buy an ICBM I will probably start out connecting between the sacd player and the pre/pro. For the stereo only outs I will just swap out the l/r cables in the ICBM. Since I have a DVD-A player as well I will use the stereo outs for it also. For the DVD-A I am really only interested in stereo any way.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Joe,

As I mentioned before, I use the unit between my preamp and amp. I do this to support bass mgmt for multiple analog sources, i.e., my redbook CDP, my SACD/redbook CDP, and my DVD player for DVD-A sources. The only source for which I don't use the ICBM is the DVD player for DVD-V. In this last case, I let my preamp decode the digital output of the DVD player and provide all crossover/bass mgmt functions. Thus, I must manually set the ICBM switches to bypass for this case.

Doug

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Doug,

I missed the by-pass part in the manual. This is the way I will use it then. Thanks.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the plug, Jantzen.

I've used my ICBM for most of the bass management in my system for almost a year. I then set the ICBM between my pre/pro and my amplifier.

In DVD-A and SACD of course all speakers are "large" all the time. I then set my front three speakers to "large" on my Sherwood Newcastle pre/pro. I set the rears to "small" (80Hz xover) so that I would get proper delay for Dolby material (this of course does not affect the 5.1 pass-through). Since my center speaker sits on a big hollow box (RPTV), I found that a higher crossover (100Hz) worked better for that speaker. After having some discussions with a local audiophile friend (and member here) and some listening tests, I set my fronts to 60Hz. The rears were set to 80.

This is the power of the ICBM - fully independant high quality analog bass management for all channels. The unit performs fantastic.

The reason I'm selling it is that I recently replaced my pre/pro with an Outlaw 950. The Outlaw allows for the multiple crossover settings for different speakers in digital modes, and for an 80Hz high quality crossover on the 5.1 input. Though not as flexible as the ICBM, this is sufficient for my needs.

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,
I am using the ICBM between my SACD/DVD-A player and my receiver's 5.1 inputs. Unfortunately, I'm not at seperates yet (someday).

Philip,
I hope someone sees this thread and buys that ICBM from you. It was worth the $199 plus shipping I paid - it's a steall at your asking price.

If I just would of waited 2 more days to order mine... oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks