What's new

Outlaw Falling Out Of Favor? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
So Outlaw finally sent out an announcment stating that it has ceased shipment of the 950. However, the web site says, "The Model 950 is now shipping!" :rolleyes
If Rotel can monitor threads here about its products, then Outlaw certainly can monitor relevant threads as well. Outlaw needs to get its act together, plain and simple. Between the mess with the 950 (product issues and poor public relations) and the fact that they don't accept returns on cables, Outlaw is a company I will not deal with.

Larry B

Screenwriter
At the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time: Guys, this is not the cure for cancer (or the solution for world peace) that is being discussed in this forum. And while I appreciate each of your eagerness to get the Outlaw, and some of the frustrations associated with the delays, I find it hard to believe that the few months extra wait seriously ruined enyone's life. (If it did, you may want to expand your horizons a wee bit.)

Okay, I'll retreat back to my observer's booth (complete with shielding).

Larry

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Back from sleep. Ok, a couple of things I need to clear up:
Raf, thank you for your eloquent and enlightening explanation of your post as well as a clearing up of certain posting procedures. I, in no way, have ever started a thread for the sole purpose of russling peoples feathers, but only as a way to state my opinion. While my first, so called "controversial" post was made in a way way that I thought was to be scientific and objective, it seemed that alot of people found offense that I could offer an opinion on a unit that I had never heard. While it is true that if I had never heard the unit, then my opinion is kind of bull$#!?, it is still not an intentional attempt to jab at the Outlaw. In the time since my "lets face it" thread, I have had the opportunity to listen to an outlaw, and I will have to say that none of my opinions concerning the unit have changed. Raf, I am sorry if my posting in a public forum was a bit too much, as opposed to sending you a private message, but I thought that having a public explanation on this forum would do much more good than harm. I hope you accept my apology for misunderstanding you, and any future questions that I have concerning your posts will be done through the PM option.

As for Mr. Simon, I just want to clear up one of my statements that you have also misunderstood. When I said "Now, as for the outlaw 950, it was surrounded by too much hype and was ultimately a disappointment, for the most part, because it could not live up to the hype," what I meant was that the Outlaw was not a dissapointment because it is a below par unit, but only because it could not live up to the glut of hype that surrounded it. In other words, the unit was almost doomed to dissapointment because it wasnt the reinvention of the wheel. In my statement, I am actually reinforcing the merits of the unit, but saying that it has been unfairly judged because of the aura that surrounded it. As for Mr. Simon, I would hope that you would not follow my lead and post publicly a direct question you have with me. I was srong in doing so to RAF, and I hope that you could see my error and learn from it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I feel like I'm wading into a gator pond, but I wonder if someone can help me out without a fistfight breaking out. I'm really considering going separates, and I've followed the 950 discussion to a small extent and I understand there are issues regarding shipping, noise floor, etc.
My question is what other options should I be looking at in the sub-$1000 price-range? I just started looking, and aside from the Rotel 1066, I'm not familiar with my range of options.
Any help would be very much appreciated. And please... no hitting! :)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I think that if you are looking at the sub $1k range, you are best suited not to go seperates. The only reason that I say this is because in the sub $1k range, you are only realistically dealing with about 10-12 pre's, most of them only available on the used market, which are not upgradeable, do not have the newest surround technology, and in some cases, actually are not as well built now sound as good as some of the newer receivers that cost around $1k nowadays. If you budget is $1k-2k, your options increase exponentially.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
There are no other dedicated pre/pros on the market at this time that retail for under $1000.00. There are some good receivers that can be used as pre/pros via their pre outs. The Denon 3802 and Sony D5AES come to mind.
Hey, I just noticed that this is my one year anniversery on HTF. Man does time fly. :)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
In the time since my "lets face it" thread, I have had the opportunity to listen to an outlaw, and I will have to say that none of my opinions concerning the unit have changed.
chung_sotheby,
Thank you for this information. This is the type of dialog we are encouraging in these matters. You auditioned the 950 and it doesn't suit you. Perfectly understandable and I completely respect your decision based on personal experience rather than on the words of others.
As I said, opinions are the foundation of most forum discussions and all that I am asking of participants (not just you) is that opinions are placed in their proper framework. Everyone is entitled to opinions. If a person says, "I just listened to Product 'A' and I personally think it's pretty bad" then I have no problem with that. But when things take a course such as, "Wow! Product 'A' sucks!," without the author of that statement mentioning that he/she never even heard the unit, that's a different story entirely. Like I said, conjecture is sometime based on unavailability of product (as has been the case of several new products recently) and that's understandable. But when the product is released, even in small quantity, when we ask that the guessing stop and let actual users chime in, that's where things sometimes turn ugly.
There is a certain segment of the on-line community that thrives on posting in an aggressive fashion that steps all over the rights of others and this is what we are trying to deal with here. Everyone gets a chance to be heard, but sometimes the "bullying" of some (with the same repetitive statements) actually drives away good people with something to contribute to the discussion. That's the sole reason that we sometimes put up the, "O.K. enough "guessing" let's get down to real life experiences" flag in these lengthy discussions.
This thread is a good example of the majority of people staying on course. We are discussing whether or not Outlaw is performing well as a company not how the Outlaw 950 is performing as a product. Personally, I think that Outlaw is trying, but some of the results are understandably less than ideal for a number of people so there are legitimate gripes here and the discussion continues in that vein. Nevertheless, there are always some people who see the word "Outlaw" in the title of a thread (and this doesn't just apply to "Outlaw" but to a wide number of other companies all over the HTF) and feel that it's their moral obligation to jump in with what someone termed "a thread fart" for their own purposes.
This behavior is less prevalent than before, partially due to the fact that some of these people have, after many warnings, finally reached the point where they have lost posting privileges so things are staying a bit more focused. However, with hundreds of people signing up on a daily basis we have to monitor this because sometimes new people don't realize that this is a forum, not an Internet News Group. And the nice thing is that there is place for everyone on the Internet. It's just that some people fit in better in only place than another.
Besides, here on the HTF, if a person doesn't like the place he or she can always ask for their entry fee back!
:laugh:

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Personally, I loved the sound of the Outlaw when I got to hear it. However, I also like Definitive Technology speakers, Toshiba's flagship DVD Audio Player, a nice rectangular semi-sound treated room. If I had listened to the 950 at my parents house with Optimus speakers and a 3yr old JVC dvd player I would probably have been disappointed. Taking into consideration every component used in an audition is very important IMO. It's like saying that you KNOW you don't like the sound of Klipsch speakers but forgot to mention that they were being powered by a Yamaha receiver in a room with tile floors and stone walls.

Personally, if Outlaw is falling out of favor I think it should only be because of repeatedly postponing the availability of the unit as well as it having issues when it finally was shipping. But even then things happen. I doubt the owners of Outlaw were being evil creatures. In fact it wouldn't have surprised me if the headlines a few months ago read "Outlaw CEO dies of stroke after problems arise with 950 preamp." They are probably more ticked off than anyone about the problems they've experienced. But in the long run it will make them smarter and stronger and better prepared to tackle such an endeavor next time around.

Regards,

Dan Hine

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the assistance/advice everyone! I must admit I'm quite bummed to hear that there's not a single pre/pro under a $1000 that anyone considers worth buying (and I'm not keen on the idea of buying used electronics).
IMO, here's a niche that needs fillin'! :)

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Guys, I don't think that Tung is a "made-up" name because there was a salesman years ago who worked for an A/V retailer named Myer-Emco who had a name that sounded like that, I think he was Vietnamese...

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Matt,
You have to read the whole name. If it's not made up, it's an amusing but unfortunate coincidence. :D

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Matt,

Read "Tung Enkhych" out loud.

The fact that "Tongue In Cheek" has chosen not to respond to my e-mail suspending him speaks volumes. He might be a troll, or, then again, he might just be a member who was having a little fun with us. In that case, if he was genuine about discussing HT matters I offered him (her?) the opportunity to sign up with a real name.

So far, no response to my offer. Frankly, I didn't expect one.

'Nuff said.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
A friend named Roger just left Myer-Emco to REP for Boston Acoustics said that ,as unfortunate as it seems, that is his real name. His family was from Indonesia...Go figure

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks