What's new

Outlaw Falling Out Of Favor? (1 Viewer)

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
O.K., I haven't been paying as close attention lately...
Is all the buzz now about Rotel (and the impending other low priced pre-pros)....
Are many of the people who picked up an early Outlaw now jumping ship...
Are all the "hits" that the Rotel (etc.) posts are now getting due to a lack of interest in the 950?
Do most people here think that it is still the best deal?
Worth 2 or 3 times the price?
Even better than the others that are a few hundred more?

Don't want any "bashers" or people who have a stake in Outlaws success to respond, just curios about the "boiled-down" buzz on the prodigal son and the compitition...

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I have heard the Rotel and think it's a great unit..... I also have the Outlaw 950 and think it's a great unit.... Is the Rotel worth a few hundred more??? In my OPINION, I would have to say no..... I think both units are close in sonics and features...... This boils down to personal preference, and one's ears should be the final judge....

John Corkery

Stunt Coordinator
Is the Rotel worth a few hundred more??? In my OPINION, I would have to say no..... I think both units are close in sonics and features......
Well, for me, one of the main considerations was that I could buy the Rotel immediately while I had no idea of when I'd be able to get my hands on an Outlaw. So, some people may also factor this into the price difference along with sonics and features.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think a major part of the interest in the RSP-1066 versus the 950 right now is that, while scarce, the Rotel is available. Outlaw on the other hand hasn't shipped a single 950 in weeks and has been almost completely silent as to why. They have also been silent about when the 950 will resume shipping. Some people such as myself who have been on the wait list are tired of the run-around with Outlaw and are looking at alternatives. Personally, if I can find a 1066 within the next couple of weeks I will certainly buy it instead of the 950.

Doug-

I don't think that is totally correct that outlaw isn't shipping the 950 currently. My twin brother, Jeff Aguilar, just received his on Monday. He has it set up and running. He also mentioned that he has no hiss.

Ron Aguilar

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Well, Ron, your brother is one of the lucky ones, for he is the first person I have heard in weeks to have received a 950. I think that part of the reason why Outlaw has lost its buzz is because the Rotel has proven itself to be a worthy, if not superior, competitor. The Rotel seems to have most of the features of the Outlaw, and it is much easier to get, and it comes from a more respected audio name, and it can be purchased from brick and mortar, and it comes in silver, and it has quicker bug fixed than the Outlaw, and it has downloadable upgrades, and it is only about $400 more street than the Outlaw. I think that for $400, many of us would (and have) chosen peace of mind over a unit that had a very bad track record before it even left the shelves( with all the delays and such).

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
What interest I had in the 950 is gone.
As far as the price difference, I expect an "internet only" company to be cheaper than an item designed for retail or the custom installation market.
I believe the 1066 is easily worth the few hundred more.
It's from a solid company that's been around, it's upgradeable, it works with few problems, and it sounds great. It looks nice too!
All things considered, I think that overall, the Rotel is a superior pre/pro to the Outlaw and that is why so many are still talking about it positively.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ron - If Jeff isn't a beta tester or a previous 950 owner who complained about the noise floor problem and has indeed received a new 950, then his is the first shipment I've heard of in 3 weeks. I monitor the 950 forum on Outlaws website daily and no one has posted anything about receiving product. In fact, most everyone who's posting about the latest delay is complaining, speculating or venting.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
When people build up to much of an expectation for a product prior to its release it can only be expected. The fact of the matter in my opinion is that the 950 cant compete with units costing 2X3 times more nor should it. Its a very nice product for a great price and thats it. Its not revolutionary, mind-boggling or otherwise. Plus with pre-pros it all about time, so when outlaw announced it two years ago it was revolutionary, now its just another nice pre-pro among others, Nothing less and nothing more.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Things will really heat up when Sherwood Newcastle releases their upcoming pre/pro at about the same price point as these two units in the fall. Based on my experience with the 9080 it should be a hell of a piece.

So, is it a general concensuss that the Outlaw "internet-direct-to-you" awesome savings story has fallen apart a little in the light of Rotel?
I don't mean to enrage the people whose buisness relies on the internet(like people who work here ,for example), but one would have to assume that the frequentors of sites like this one are ,in fact, "the choir", and the CHOIR doesn't seem to be convinced.
I was hoping to see Outlaw pressure mass mrket mnfgrs into developing inexpensive pre-pro's...like an rxv630 without amps from Yamaha, but it seems that enough people have been willing to spend the extra few hundred dollars above the price of the cheapest pre-pro....

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Ron and rest: Jeff bought his 950 from someone that posted it for sale (along with a B&K amp) at the Hardware Sale Section here at HTF. That guy received his 950 when the first initial shipments went out and then decided to sell it. So as far as I know, the 950's aren't shipping yet. I know this because Jeff is bringing his 950 over to my house this Friday morning so we can do the "much anticipated" 950 vs. 1066 Shoot-out that eveyrone has been wanting to see/hear!
His 950, my 1066...we'll share what we find!
Ron: I didn't know Jeff had a twin! :D And both HT buffs to boot! :emoji_thumbsup:
E

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I think one of the biggest reasons the Outlaw threads have died off a bit are partly related to the bicker that occured not so long ago when they first started shipping but mainly due to the fact that not many people actually got one to talk about. Of those that did get one some reported a hiss that was a hot topic and things cooled off for Outlaw. A lot of people (myslef incl) that were on the never ending waiting list began looking at our alternatives and now that the Rotel is out, affordable and has already had a few firmware upgrades people are choosing to go that route. For myself the price diffence between the Rotel and the Outlaw isn't that great (great price on Rotel and the exchange rate and shipping and duty etc) so for me it was a no brainer. There's also the fact that most if not all those that have compared the two choose to keep the Rotel.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
From my reading only Merc has returned the 1066 when comparing the 2 pre/pros and it was mainly from the fact he didn't like the "warm" sound. Then again he got it for free so a slight bias maybe in effect.

The fact Rotel has released now 5(maybe more) upgrades to the unit via the internet that can be instaneously upgraded by the consumer also has alot of folks chomping at the bit. What features the Rotel lacks can be upgraded on the fly which is something the Outlaw lacks and is a factor. Now if they didn't utilize the feature, it would be a different story.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Shane,
I don't think Merc actually owned the 1066. I believe he just demo'd it. It was also before the noise problem was fixed on the Rotel.

I don't think sound is the issue. People have stated that either they preferred the Rotel or the differences were minor when listening to the 2.
It's all the other things that make the Rotel a better pre/pro. (IMHO of course)

Erik, looking forward to your comments!

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
The last-known 950 order to be shipped from Outlaw was the during the week of May 20. That was for a person who reserved on 1/14. Around the same time Outlaw sent out an email stating that all January reservations would be fulfilled by the first week of June. I reserved on 1/16 and still haven't heard anything from them, so they obviously missed that deadline. Between the additional waits and the fact that several people who had purchased both almost unanimously decided to go with the 1066, I decided to go with Rotel. I'm glad I did, because I've been enjoying my 1066 for 3-4 weeks, and if I had stuck with Outlaw I would still be waiting for who knows how long.

Based on posts over on the Outlaw forum, Outlaw is indeed losing some customers because of this latest delay. It appears that people who are able to get a 1066 from their local dealer are doing so in many cases.

That said, I still think Outlaw is a good company, in fact I purchased a 770 amp to go with my 1066. I just think they promised too much with the 950, they should have done a better job of managing expectations. Hopefully they've learned their lesson for next time around.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I think Outlaw might have started a trend with other new pre/pro's with the low prices. We are now seeing more and more pre/pro's now and coming out soon at a more affordable price. I never considered a pre/pro a year ago with prices much higher and with less features than a receiver.

Now with these new pre/pro's their pulling out all their guns with features and an amazing prices. Plus they finally are listening to the consumers about make their equipment upgradable. Thanks Rotel for listening.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Greg not only has Rotel listened to what we wanted but they continue to listen to what we'd like to see updated in future. If you have any requests please feel free to append them to this list here as Rotel monitors that thread for ideas.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
There is so much buzz about Outlaw here that for a while I thought Outlaw owned this site and everyone else but Outlaw had quit making pre/pros.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Not only has Rotel listened to what we wanted but they continue to listen to what we'd like to see
Now that's a company that I would buy from. Alot companies will research for feedback on what people want in a pre/pro and then release it without any support for future upgrades.
It's like here is what you been asking for now leave us alone.
Rotel is changing the future :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks