outlaw audio

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John Menoni, Apr 17, 2004.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I am buying a M&K MX150 THX system and I was going to power it with a THX reciever. A few nice fellows from this site explained that I would be better off with seperates because the speakers are 4 ohms. I definately like the Outlaw model 950 processor but the question is if I should go for the model 770 200 watt 7.1 amp, or just go for the 7100 which is only 100 watts. I read lots of reviews on outlaw and they were overwhelming. I am pretty much convinced that going with THX is not necessarily the best thing and I probably will go with this outlaw system. I just don't know if I should go for the extras wattage. I have an imperfect room for my theater. It is an L shape room and the theater is in the longer part of the L. It is 21 feet long and only 7 1/2 feet wide in bigger part of the theater. Any feedback or suggestions concerning Outlaw would be greatly appreciated as always.

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I'm using a 7100 and it drives my Lsi's (4ohm) just fine. The amp is actually rated at 165wpc x 7 @ 4ohms.

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    John:

I have the 950/770 combo (I have had them for over a year) and I couldn't be happier. You can never have enough wattage in my opinion. If you are only running a 5.1 system and you have a powered sub then the 755 5 channel amp is another option as the other two channels won't be used to power anything. The other option with Outlaw is their 200 watt monoblocks.

With any of the combinations you are going to be very happy with your choice. The other great thing is you can try them out in your home and if you don't like them you can always send them back. They have a very generous return policy.

Parker

4. John Menoni

Frank, nice theater! Parker, thanks for the feedback. I think I am sold on the outlaw system. I think I am going to go for the 770. What the hell. You only live once.

5. Frank Zimkas

Thank you sir.

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    John:

You are going to love it. Just don't try to put the 770 in a rack by yourself. At 90 lbs. it is one heavy amp.

Parker

7. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I have the 950 and 5 of Outlaw's monoblock amps in a room much like the one you describe(but a little larger: 10 feet wide by 25 feet long in the long part of the L). I am very happy with them and I assume the 770 would work great too.

8. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

John,
    I don't know if you've taken the plunge with the Outlaw gear yet, but if you haven't I would strongly consider the 7100 over the 7700. I think the 7700 would be way overkill for these speakers. 165W/ch into a speaker with decent sensitivity is going to be insanely loud. Another good indicator of the type of power these speakers should have is looking at M&K's powered version of the same speaker, they use a 180Wrms amps. I have a good feeling that they know what kind of power these should take and I wouldn't go much above that. With the 7700 you're probably going to be getting 300+W/ch. If I were you I would go with the 7100 or, if you want to get closer to that 180W mark, go with a different amp that produces 180-200Wrms into 4ohms, you'd probably save a decent amount of cash and have equal results.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll be pleased, the M&K's are supposed to be top notch!

9. John Menoni

Thank you Jason. I will consider the 7100. It is definately much cheaper. I am slightly confused though. The 7100 is listed as 100 watts per channes and the 7700 is listed at 200 watts. Is there something I'm missing?

10. Frank Zimkas

The 7100 puts out 165wpc into 4 ohms, or 100 into 8. The 770 is 300 into 4ohms, or 200 into 8.

11. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

Like Frank said, the 7100 is effectively 165W/ch since you are using 4 ohm speakers.

In any case, what I would do is order the 7100 and if you don't like it, or you don't feel it has enough power for your setup, then you can take advantage of Outlaw's generous 30-day money back guarantee. That way you'll know first hand.

$900 extra bucks will buy you alot of DVDs to watch in your new home theater!

12. John Menoni

Thanks alot fellas. I think I'm going with the 7100. That should give me more than enough power. My basement has 6 1/2 foot ceilings and has a very narrow base in the middle of the seating area. I can't see needing more than 165 watts a channel with the mx 350 sub.