Outlaw Audio Model 1050 vs. Denon AVR 2802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Matthews, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews Stunt Coordinator

which of these would you recommend, and why?

2. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

i'd recommend the Denon because you've already freakin' got it!

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Mike, I watched the beating you took over on your other thread. Don't take it personal. I think there are more nice guys on here than the brow-beaters you got.
    Thanks for helping him out over there Rob you are crackin' me up! [​IMG]

When you get the rest of your equipment, if you can afford it, I would purchase the Outlaw and try it in your home. Outlaw has a generous 30 day trial period. See which one works for best for YOU.

FYI.. Outlaw is consistently recognized by most of the home theater magazines as a tremendous value, but the Denon is by no means a slouch either. I don't think you could go far wrong either way.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Dont worry about the 2802. Its an excellent piece of equipment. Think about what you are going to pair it with and enjoy your new HT.

5. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

6. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

The 2802 has 6 amp channels, the 2803 has 7. I think these two models are more different than 'usual' in the Denon line.

I don't think it's really worth much to switch from the Denon to the Outlaw or from the Outlaw to the Denon. (A used Outlaw 1050 can be had for a similar price.) But, that's not the question you asked.

I have an older Denon that has served me very well. And I have my eyes on an Outlaw 950 down the road. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these units. The Denon 2802 has Dolby Pro Logic II, which the Outlaw 1050 is lacking. If this is important to you, it could sway your decision.

You might also want to check out ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000715.html
    there's a thread discussing the 1050 vs. the Denon 2803.

7. Mike Matthews

the reason i ask is because i DON'T have the Denon. i got an email saying that there was a leak at the warehouse and several units got damaged, so i'm starting over at zero

also, what exactly does Dolby Pro Logic II do??

8. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

So you safely got out of that e-bay mess? Good for you, after taking all the flogging for that. DPL II is a newer enhanced DPL mode that has better ambiance (close to the the discreet 5.1 modes) unlike its older version that was focussed primarily on the center channel. If you have a lot of old VHS tapes and watch a lot of TV programming this is a good mode to be in.

9. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

PLII

As I understand it, PLII gives you multi-channel sound from a stereo source (ie. TV, CD, VHS...). Much like my current Denon (soon to be replaced) pro logic surround 5.1 receiver converts two-channel into 5 channel surround. PLII supposedly just does a better job of matrixing the sound then the 'ol surround sound or PLI.

The outlaw does not have PLII, but I don't think that is a big issue unless you watch a lot of vhs or run your tv audio through your receiver. CD's you (or at least I do) would typically listen to in 2-channel anyway.

10. Mike Matthews

how do CDs sound when they come through all 5 speakers? i love the idea of listening to music through all speakers...

11. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I listen to 2-channel music strictly in 2-channel, and my current receiver doesn't even have DPL II, but....when I was demo-ing a receiver that did have DPL II I was very impressed with it. It sounded very similar to a multi-channel recording. It is definitely something that you should consider if you're not a 2-channel only snob.

12. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

13. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I find it very distracting listening to music in multichannel mode. I like all my action up front like its being played on stage. Some recordings do have better ambience with surround modes but most IMHO are distracting at least to my ears.

14. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Here it is straight from Dolbys' site.

Dolby Pro Logic II is an advanced matrix decoder that derives five-channel surround (Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, and Right Surround) from any stereo program material, whether or not it has been specifically Dolby Surround encoded. On encoded material such as movie soundtracks, the sound is more like Dolby Digital 5.1 (see below), while on unencoded stereo material such as music CDs the effect is a wider, more involving soundfield. Among other improvements over Pro Logic, Pro Logic II provides two full-range surround channels, as opposed to Pro Logic’s single, limited-bandwidth surround channel.