Outlaw Audio ICBM Dual - Who would buy one, and how much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Nov 14, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Several folks have suggested what I think is a marvelous, and badly needed item. An ICBM with dual switchable 5.1 inputs. If Outlaw could produce one of these units before the end of the year, how many of you would buy it, and how much would you pay for it?
    I'll go first.
    Yes, I'd buy it and I'd pay up to $399 for it.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

2. Johnny Lerner

Could you please indicate and explain why a 'dual' would be so useful?
    Thanks

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Johnny: Sure. It would allow the simultaneous and switchable connection of both a DVD-Audio and a SACD player.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on November 14, 2001 at 12:32 PM]

4. Will

Will Guest

I guess it depends on how many people are planning to
    buy both a DVD-Audio and SACD player now,
    before players come to market that either
    (1) have a DIGITAL crossover (the ICBM is an analog crossover)
    built-in like most modern receivers use, or
    (2) have a digital output line (rather than six analog lines).
    I think most people will not be buying both a DVD-Audio
    and a separate SACD player right now. For one thing, that
    requires up to eighteen wires back there for the interconnects.
    What a rats nest!
    Will

5. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

Put me down for one and $399 sounds like a good price.................
    I already have an ICBM and it really improves the sound of my DVD Audio........ big time
    geo

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I think Outlaw missed out on a good opportunity by not doing this already. There's been lots of discussions here about how to handle both SACD and DVD-Audio at once. If they were to make something like this I would be definitely interested.
    However, I would like it if they would rearrange the inputs and outputs. On the current ones it looks like you'd have a hard time using anything but single cables for all the connections. I have a IXOS cable that has all six cables wrapped together, and I really like that.

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Will: I am considering upgrading/standardizing my audio interconnects on a single type cable. For only my primary HT/Music system, I already need 38 cables. And that's ONLY audio cables. Another six to help me avoid using a Radio Shack switcher would be a godsend to me. And, unless a Receiver has DACs for processing SACD which exceed the ones in my c555es, I'd rather stick with analog than go digital. Afterall, sound quality in music playback is the only important thing. For movies, IMO, SQ is much less important.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

8. Will

Will Guest

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Will: Ahhh. Okay, I understand what you where talking about now. I tend to think of digital crossovers as being less audiophilelike because of the additional A to D to A processing. But, if the digital crossover occured within the source piece, that extra conversion would be avoided.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

11. Will

Will Guest

Years ago, all receivers and pre/pro's had crossovers solely
    in the analog domain. Now by and large they do it in the
    digital domain. Look at most DD or DTS receiver and you'll
    see that this is true. Digital crossovers do a better job
    than the analog crossovers of olden days.
    Will

12. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

If it was in the cards, I would wait. Receivers may very well address this issue in the next generation of receivers. That will be just in time for an upgrade. The other thing that directs my decision is the fact that DVD-A and SACD is so few and not really mainstream. One more piece of equipment is nice but not when it will only get used maybe 5 perecent of the time.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

13. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Will,
    Yes a lot of receivers have digital xovers, but the reason they have them there is for design convience and cost, I believe. I remain unconvincience that DSP based crossovers are best. If you talk to some audiophiles (and not necessiarily digiphobes) you may find that they prefer tube based xovers such as AR and Marchand as the best. These are totally discrete bases units and not the common one chip wonders inherient in receiver xovers. While I agree that it would be nice to have the option of a digital feed out from the DVD-A, I don't aggree that it will -of course- be preferable to xover in the digital domain. Digital ain't always better.

14. Will

Will Guest

Most new receivers and pre/pro's on the market today do
    bass management of Dolby Digital. Does ANY modern receiver
    or pre/pro do this bass management in the analog domain?
    Best,
    Will

15. Will

Will Guest

If the originating signal were an anlog signal, such as
    a turntable, one might say don't do bass management
    in the digital domain, since to do so involves extra
    A/D and D/A. But an SACD player is like Dolby Digital and
    DTS: the originating signal is already digital. It takes
    no extra A/D and D/A to do bass management in the digital
    domain. That's where it's almost universally done for
    digital signals like DD and DTS and -- hopefully soon --
    DVD-A and SACD.
    As I understand it, DVD-A and SACD decoders don't yet
    have enough horsepower to also do bass management,
    like it's done all the time with DD. But that should
    change in the future.
    Best,
    Will

16. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Ya know, maybe this is one question I should have posted as a simple poll. DOH! [​IMG]
    First, if you don't already have, or plan to buy a DVD-A and an SACD player in the near future, then no, you would have no need for a two input switchable ICBM.
    Second, if we wait till something is mainstream till we buy it, then NONE of us would yet own a DVD Player, or god forbid, a 16:9 TV.
    Finally, those of us who grew up loving music, had only one choice... analog sources like albums. Many of us still believe that well preserved albums, played back on good analog equipment sounds better than digital music. So, IMO, unless you can afford an MC12(now there is a mainstream piece [​IMG]), most music output on preamps sound best when using an analog bypass.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

17. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Does anybody know if digital xovers have better phase response (i.e. less phase offset) than analog xovers which typically always have phase problems unless it's a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley with zero (0) degree phase offset?
    BruceD

18. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

YES YES YES!!!!
    Actually when I bought my new SACD player I assumed that the ICBM would have 2 5.1 inputs (it makes perfect sense), later I realized that it doesn't, but it sure would be a great feature and solve many of our probs with those running both formats!!!
    I would pay $400, but I am sure that they could easily do it for $300-$350
    I think Outlaw missed the boat on this one, and i hope that behind closed doors they are scrambling to figure it out (really it would be a simple issue for those type of engineers, but will they do it??)
    Maybe, if they have already spent big $$ in design and tooling of the original ICBM, they could make a good quality (2) 5.1 switch that would match the ICBM, sit rite on top of it, and be available as a "package deal" when one buys hte ICBM.