What's new

Outlaw Audio 950 pre/pro faceplate vs. others (1 Viewer)

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,

It is hard for me to decipher from the picture I have seen on the Outlaw audio web site what material the faceplate on the 950 pre/pro is made of. Is it plastic as it looks or is it some type of metal? I am highly interested in this product (As many of you are). However, aesthetics are a minor factor. My recollection is that Legairre mentioned that his dealer discounts Rotel 15% off MSRP, so I am wondering I should consider the 1066 a bit more seriously now - because from the pics i have seen it looks a lot nicer. (of course there are other factors).

I am not really up on the specs of both of these units, but my recollection is that the outlaw 950 had digital to analog converters (DACs) rated up to 24bit/192 kHz, whereas the rotel 1066 rotel 1066 has DACs rated up to 24bits/96 kHZ. IS this really a huge issue? and if so, is it just an issue with DVD-A or SACD?

Thanks for reading!

-jack

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm pretty sure the 950's faceplate is made of aluminum or some metal. i can't really give much of any answer to your other questions. sorry.

kevin t

J

John Morris

Hi jack!

Yes, the 950s faceplate is made from a nice sheet of milled aluminum. The DACs in these units are not used for DVD-A or SACD. The DACs come into play when you use any Dolby, DTS, Cirrus or Rotel processing. This includes everything except for the 5.1 inputs(DVD-A and SACD) and analog bypass mode.

15% off MSRP would be $1275 and I believe Legairre actually got a price slightly better than that. I have been trying to get another 1066 for comparison to the 950, but unfortunately, my local dealers don't have any coming in that haven't been prepaid for another customer and they won't budge off of more than 10% MSRP, so your price may vary. Additionally, right now the 1066 is very hard to come by. Legairre(I think) has also mentioned that this Rotel unit may eventually be available in a two tone faceplate as well as the black.

Without doing a direct comparison, all I can do is point out that the Outlaw is at least $350 cheaper, has a tuner(the Rotel has no tuner so you'll have to buy one if you desire radio) and allows you to try it out for 30 days and return it for the cost of return shipping if you choose. Of course, if you can find one for sale, the Rotel's advantage is that you can buy one now.

If I were you, and I kinda am, I'd buy a Rotel from a dealer who offers a full 30 day, no questions asked, money back guarantee, and then also get the Outlaw 950 when it is available. Listen to them both and decide for yourself which you think is the better sounding and the better value. Then, return the one you don't want.

Good Luck, and have fun with your search!

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
John is correct, all Outlaw Audio equipment has come with a thick milled aluminum, matte black exterior finished faceplate. I've measured it on my 750 & 1050 quite some time ago, but I believe it was around 3/16's of an inch. Although I could easily be wrong ... it was some time ago. :)
I could remeasure when I get home tonight if you'd like?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
This link has a computer generated image of what the Atlantic Technology clone will look like: http://www.atlantictechnology.com/li...02%20final.pdf. I think it looks a bit better than Outlaw's version.
You can bet the Sherbourne clone will have the same dark metal front as their amps. Not exactly a beauty contest winner, IMO.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If the Atlantic Tech. version is indeed identical and in no way better in the features and specs. department to the original Outlaw Model 950 (the basis for the AT and Sherbourn clones), I could care less about the aesthetics. It'd be Outlaw getting my money.

It also seems like Rotel has had more problems and is noisier than the Model 950.

At the end of the day, which one sounds the best and has the most/better features for the money. Looks aren't everything.

Dan

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Dan,

Can you please enlighten us to these problems with the Rotel?

And let us know who has compared the Rotel and Outlaw side by side to determine the Rotel is noisier?

I am considering both the outlaw and rotel.

The rotel shipped with a "noise issue" which was immediately resolved and all units shipping now have the fix (not much different than outlaw's situation).

I listened to the Rotel this past weekend and it was operating perfectly and sounded very nice. However I'll refrain from commenting on how it is compared to the 950 SINCE I HAVEN'T HEARD THE 950.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks