Outlaw audio 770 or 7100

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Menoni, Mar 27, 2005.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I am going to be powering an M&K 150 system and an additional 2 4ohm M&K speakers for a 7.1 setup. I have made up my mind on the outlaw 950 pre/pro but I can't decide if I need the extra power of the 770. I think 300 watts per channel might be overkill. I am leaning toward the 7100 with 165w per channel into 4 ohms. My room is a weird L-shape. It is 27 feet in length but only 6 1/2 feet in width in the middle part of my seating area. My ceilings are very low at 6 1/2 and jut down even lower in certain areas. Thanks for the help in advance. [​IMG]

2. JimMIT

JimMIT Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    I don't know about overkill -- many hold the opinion that you can never have too much power. But you would be approaching the point of diminishing returns. In reality, 300 watts vs. 165 watts is only a difference of about 3 dB. And for that you would be paying $900. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

3. Charlie Phogg

Charlie Phogg Auditioning

Why not try the 7100 take advantage of Outlaw's 30 day money back guarantee? If is suits your needs great, if not send it back and exchange it for the 770. You will be out shipping charges if you return it but either way you will end up with the amp you want.

4. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

I was in the same boat and I went with the 770. I would get the 770: if you have the $$$ of course, if it is a large open area (or if you anticipate a large area in the future), or if you are driving inefficient speakers.

5. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

I own the 950/7100 combo.I'm driving 5 Maggies (4 ohm,86 and 84 eff.) with no problems.I have plenty of headroom with this combo.
    With that said,If your undecided between the 7100 or the 770,my recommendation would be ,get the 770.If you get the 7100,you'll always wonder if theres more your missing by not having the 770 and its extra power.

6. John Menoni

Hmmm. I think I am going to go with the 7100 and see if it is enough. My wife has been very understanding with my spending so far. I want to keep it that way. [​IMG] Right now I think I am putting out 90 watts a channel with 5 klipsch speakers and that doesn't even sound bad. I'm sure the Outlaw system with the M&K THX system will sound amazing compared to what I have. If I want more power I could always just exchange it for the 770 later like Charlie said. Thanks for taking to time to put in your 2 cents. [​IMG]

7. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

770!

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

John,

I'm running a 7.1 system off of a 7100 in a large room (30' x 27') that is open to other areas and it has no problems pushing my Rockets to very painful volumes. I think it will be plenty for your M&K's.

9. John Menoni

Thanks Alex. I think I am basically sold on the 7100 after hearing from you and an engineer at M&K. 165w a channel should be more than enough. I wish the sky was the limit as far as my budget but that isn't the case. The wife has been very understanding so far. I want to keep it that way. [​IMG]

10. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    John:

I have the 770 and it is a beautiful amp. Having said that I would go for the 7100 at this times and upgrade later if you want. If Alan can drive his maggies (they are power hungry speakers) with the 7100 you should be in good shape.

Besides you need would need to rent a forklift to get the 770 into your house. That is even more money out of pocket. [​IMG]

Let us know what you think after you have it set up.

Parker

11. John Menoni

Thanks Peter. The weight of the 770 is another reason I am going with the 7100. I'm afraid my audio cabinet would collapse if I put a 90 pound amp on the bottom shelf. The 7100 is only 50 pounds and that makes me nervous.