Outlaw and 7.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mat_M, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Since the search is disabled right now I thought I'd make a post. I'm leaning (really far) toward the Outlaw 950/770 combo, or the 950/755 combo, but I'd like to find out some information on how (and if) anyone uses 7.1 surround mode(s) for DVDs. I tried posting something similar in the HT basics forum but all I got was answers telling me to go search.

So first off, does anyone use 7.1 regularly while watching DVDs?
    If so, does it make the HT seem more like a theater?
    How does the 950 output the signal to the speakers?
    Will the 950:
    a) Use all four surrounds? (if so, how? will it utilize mostly the two rears? will it "share" the signal between a side and a rear?)
    b) Use only the 2 rear surrounds?
    c) Do something else I haven't mentioned yet?

I'd like to get your input before I order a combo.

Cheers,
    Mat

2. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

So first off, does anyone use 7.1 regularly while watching DVDs?
    Yes.
    If so, does it make the HT seem more like a theater?
    I don't know if it makes my HT seem more like a theater, but I enjoy it.
    The 950 uses "cirrus extra surround" to create 6.1 or 7.1 output from either matrix-encoded or discrete audio signals.
    I upgraded from a Denon 3802 to a Outlaw 950. I am really happy with the 950. I use it with 7 IRD mono-blocks and Paradigm studio series speakers. 60's and a CC up front, ADP'S on the sides and 20's in the rear. My sub is a SVS 16-46PC+.
    Good luck on your decision.

3. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I use DPL2 with the Cirris logic steering for my 7.1 setup. I use it with both DVD's and CD's. It works very well for me. For music, the only improvement I have been able to find is Analog DVDA, but this is only 5.1. I couldn't be happier with the Outlaw combo.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I also use the CES modes exclusively on a 7.1 system. (DPL II is really only meant for 2 channel sources, btw. For 5.1 DD/DTS there are specific "cinema" and "music" CES modes for each. Also obviously DD EX and DTS-ES modes for "6.1" sources.)

The surrounds get the normal surround info for 5.1. The rears get a mono signal synthesized from the surrounds. I wish there was a mode to "copy" the surround L info to the rear L and surround R info to the rear R speaker, but oh well. I think it does improve the soundstage from 5.1 processing. Kind of fills in the back.