What's new

Outlaw 990 (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Any opinions on this A/V Preamp/processor?

I am looking to replace an old Parasound PS/P 1500 A/V preamp that I have which left front channel seems dead. I don't know if it's worth it to fix as of now it only has S-video monitor its kind of limited as to it's Video switching capabilities, especially with HD and DVI/HDMI type outputs. Of course, right now, all I have is one HD source, an upconverting Sony NVS70H DVD player but I should have a HD cablebox soon. The Sony has HDMI outputs but the 990 only does DVI switching/monitor.

However, price is a big object, I can't afford many of the serious high end separates and only interested in DD5.1/DTS versus the high end 7.1 preamps I've seen...

Jay

mikeR*

Auditioning
I upgraded to the 990 from an H/k 310 which I was using as a pre/pro.I noticed huge improvments in HT and music.Definatley worth the money.They have a great 30 day trial period and customer service. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks, I actually did spend some time at the Outlaw forums reading the differences. I've heard the benefits of the 990 over the 970 for audio purposes but that's only if you use the DACs in the pre/pro. I bought a very expensive, but very nice Meridian CDP awhile ago (when I had $$ when I was living with my parents, that is no more!!!) so I am really only using the preamp section and not the DACs for CD audio. I thought about it and went with the 970. As far as the DVI inputs/monitoring, I already knew from Outlaw's website that the 970 only upconverts composite and s-video to component level monitors, the DVI inputs is just a switch. My Sony upconverting DVD player only upconverts to the HDMI output, not the component output so I run the HDMI cable right to my TV (and then a toslink cable to my processor)

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Received the 970 today, set it up and played a bit of CDs through it in the various modes and surround modes. I always listen to audio in 2-channel + subwoofer mode but heck, the thing has a gazillion of surround modes, much more than my previous processor so I thought I'd try it all out.

It has a nice cool blue layout that I like, it's fairly lightweight and is nicely designed in the back, at least as best you can do with a gazillion connections and a DVI switch in the back. I haven't tried watching any movies yet, that will be tonight.

One thing that sticks out is what seems like the AM/FM Tuner seems like an afterthought. No direct access to presets, somewhat awkward memory programming. The remote looks like the remote I got my parents from Radio Shack, basic but functional.

Anyway, if my HK Citation 23 tuner wasn't on the fritz, I think I would set that up and just use that rather than the built in tuner. Reception is good. I guess many people these days get satellite radio or through cable/DBS... I will soon, but right now, I'm stuck with OTA FM...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks