outlaw 990 and the 7100 amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Menoni, Jun 6, 2005.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I was all set to get the 950/7100 combo from outlaw audio and they discontinued the 950. Now I'm going with the 990. This is my first pre/pro and amp. I always used a reciever and I never had to deal with balanced vs unbalenced connections. Can I use the 990 with the 7100 amp even though the 990 has balenced inputs and the 7100 doesn't? Thank You for the help. [​IMG]

2. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

The 990 has both balanced and unbalanced outputs so there is no problem with your amp choice.

3. JonStern

JonStern Agent

Yes, you can just connect the 990's unbalanced pre-outs to the 7100's inputs. In my opinion, balanced circuits for home audio/video is just a way for manufacturers to make more money. It adds more hardware and electronics and requires precise (read expensive) implementation for the noise-cancellation benefits to be at all meaningful, something you're unlikely to find in budget items like the 990. I remember a review by Tony Cordesman focusing on home audio equipment with both balanced and unbalanced connections and a surprising number did better with the latter. Not that balanced can't be better... it's just that it takes more parts, effort, and expense to make it so.

4. John Menoni

That is great news. Thanks for the help. Now I just have to figure out where to by the unbalenced inputs.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Buy them from Outlaw with the pre/amp combo for cheap. That's what I did, their cables are great and not too $$$.

6. John Menoni

Thanks for the advise Joe. I think I will do that. I see that outlaw sells a set of 7 for just over $100.00.